Moving to Southwark Park Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 8 January 2015 12.23pm
Greetings!!! I am originally from Canada, but have been living in London for 14 years now.
I previously lived for 2 years near tower bridge road/ grange road area from 2000-2002. Absolutely loved the area.
12 years later I am thinking of moving back to the area with my wife. We are thinking of making an offer on a property in SE16 near the Blue centre, near Southwark Park road as these properties are affordable compared to properties further west and closer to SE1.
I have read reports of criminal activity around Bermondsey station and Southwark Park road, but these reports seem to be from 2012. What is the area like now? Is it safe for my wife to walk from Bermondsey tube at night?
Thursday 8 January 2015 12.29pm
We live not too far from the area you describe, a couple of hundred metres east of the Blue. We've been there about 2 years.

Like anywhere, there's crime - but I've never witnessed anything first hand and the stories you read are no more regular or different to what you read about other parts of London. My girlfriend walks back from the station on her own in the evening and has never had any problems.

Overall it's a great place - lots of friendly people around. More of a sense of community than I've known anywhere else in London. The Blue area of Bermondsey doesn't really feel like 'London' as it is now if you ask me.
Thursday 8 January 2015 12.38pm
Thanks for the reply! My wife is used to leafy , middle class suburban areas and was really afraid the first time she saw the area at night. I know the area and always felt safe. But again I lived closer to SE1. The police reports of assaults and a murder from 2012 are scary(around Bermondsey station), but maybe the area has improved since then.
Is there a good gym you go to in SE16?
Thursday 8 January 2015 1.08pm
Unfortunately there was someone murdered (shot in the head) in the Abbeyfield Estate in November. This incident in particular on St James Road had me shaken up as a cyclist myself regularly in the area. Here is the local report from the south Bermondsey Met team - there can be a bit of drug dealing north west of the blue and around Bermondsey Spa even. It is a working-class area and there is a good sense of community and friendliness, but unfortunately some bad aspects to it too. (I like it btw!)
Thursday 8 January 2015 1.36pm
I'd echo Guy's Street's words - it's a nice area, good people and bad, just like anywhere else in London. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as somewhere to live, even if it is (just) outside SE1.
Thursday 8 January 2015 1.41pm
We actually live a couple of hundred metres west, not east, as I fisrt said!

It's not leafy and middle class (although becoming more middle class with all the new flats going up in the area, particularly around Bermondsey Spa), but there are a few reasonable sized parks in the area.

Yes there was the young lad shot dead in November, but then again a couple of months before that there was a young lad stabbed to death just off Long Lane in SE1, and the Chris Foster murder on Borough High St - so these things happen unfortunately and will happen from time to time all over London.

There is a gym on Southwark Park Road that opened last year - I've not been so can't comment on quality - I use Soho Gyms by Borough Station which is very good.
Thursday 8 January 2015 2.16pm
Thanks for the post Kevin. We have had a few murders in Ealing, one of them in the estate nearby about 2 years ago, apparently drug/ gang related. These things rarely affect us. The petty stuff of attacking / intimidating people on bikes is a bit scary and unpredictable. If you look at the video one of the guys is taunting the guys in the car which is a bad idea... Keep your mouth shut I say!!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: