Hearing Big Ben...?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 9 January 2015 11.23am
This might sound slightly mad, but I've recently started being able to hear Big Ben chiming late at night when I go to bed. I've lived on Long Lane (near Simon the Tanner) for almost two years, and have never heard it before, even in summer with the windows wide open. Now I've definitely heard it twice in as many weeks, at 11pm and midnight. My fiancÚ, who is generally deaf as a post, can also hear it when I point it out, it's so clear and definite.

I'm just wondering if I really am hearing it - and if I am, why have I never heard it before? Maybe one of my neighbours has recently bought a very realistic Big Ben chiming clock?! Has anyone else in the area heard it too?
Friday 9 January 2015 12.43pm
Yes it is big ben. I have live on long lane for many years and have heard it many times but i think it depends on on the wind direction/weather conditions and background noise hence why you hear it at night.

If you had been here on 30th December you would have heard it amplfied followed by loud music as mentioned in another thread on the forum, which we have assumed was a sound check for new years eve.
Friday 9 January 2015 1.43pm
Ah-ha. I did run a forum search for "big ben" before I posted and didn't get any results, but thanks for letting me know.

Glad I'm not hearing things... :)
Friday 9 January 2015 2.05pm
It's here http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/189189 under the title of loud music at midnight which is why it didnt show up in your search
Saturday 10 January 2015 6.31pm
We hear Big Ben when the conditions permit. Alas we can only see HALF of the clock face because the top of St.Thomas' Hospital hides it...so no syncronising our watches between the hours.
Saturday 10 January 2015 6.53pm
Is it definitely Big Ben and not the bells of St Paul's?
Saturday 10 January 2015 7.02pm
On a clear night you can hear BB from St Saviour's Estate! Definitely not St Paul's.
Saturday 10 January 2015 9.44pm
With the wind in the right direction, we can hear Big Ben in The Cut.
Saturday 10 January 2015 10.17pm
I have heard it whilst leaning out of my window, and it comes and go's with the wind,it's amazing, one minute it's clear then in a second you can't hear it because of a gust of wind.
Saturday 10 January 2015 10.25pm
...and if you stand outside the entrance to St Thomas' when it strikes you get an echo 'bong' after every strike.
I must get a life :-))
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: