Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Sunday 11 January 2015 7.29pm
Does anyone know anything new about the Shopping Centre development since APG and Delancey bought it end of 2013? They were due to submit for planning in 2014 but it has gone suspiciously quiet.
Monday 23 March 2015 3.24pm
I am very curious as well.
I went to the Shopping Centre on Saturday and there is a new shop opening up (selling juices, smoothies, etc.).
It certainly doesn't look like the place is about to close any time soon.
Wednesday 25 March 2015 2.43pm
There was an interesting article on Londonist about it a couple of days ago (although it doesn't clarify what will happen to it): http://londonist.com/2015/03/an-ode-to-elephant-and-castle-shopping-centre.php
Thursday 26 March 2015 8.39am
Today it's exactly 50 years since the shopping centre was opened:
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/ray-gunter-the-mp-for-southwark-unveils-the-original-news-photo/71818643

I'm writing a piece on the centre at 50 and looking ahead to the future plans, but this week is so crazy it probably won't get finished till tomorrow at the earliest.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 26 March 2015 10.07am
Well it's a happy birthday from me. A dump it may be, but what memories!
Thursday 26 March 2015 10.30am
Me too. Shame all of the buildings shown in James' link to the Getty stock images were torn down. Reminds me a little bit of Piccadilly Circus.
Thursday 26 March 2015 10.44am
Gavin Smith wrote:
Me too. Shame all of the buildings shown in James' link to the Getty stock images were torn down. Reminds me a little bit of Piccadilly Circus.

I'm sure I read, on here once, that it was known as the Piccadilly of the South or something like that.
Thursday 26 March 2015 10.50am
I can see why it would be known as that. Now it's known as something completely different!
Thursday 26 March 2015 12.28pm
boroughonian wrote:
Gavin Smith wrote:

I'm sure I read, on here once, that it was known as the Piccadilly of the South or something like that.

The 'good old days'...
Thursday 26 March 2015 12.52pm
Jules62 wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Gavin Smith wrote:

The 'good old days'...

That slightly pre dates the Elephant I know.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: