Fruit juice drums - Waterloo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 22 January 2015 10.35am
It seemed such a good idea to brighten the area with these drums planted with different plants adding to the bio-diversity of the area.Apparently the plant thieves think so too because the plants are being stolen and then the bins are being treated as litter bins.
What to do?
Replace the plants until the thieves have filled their gardens/plots/balconies/window boxes?
Replacing them at whose expense?
Not replace and the bins will make the streets even more ugly as unnecessary litter bins.

Waterloo we have a problem !

Related news & features

Thursday 22 January 2015 12.58pm
Surely there must be a way to prevent them being stolen?
Thursday 22 January 2015 2.34pm
Well, we had exactly this same problem outside our flats over the Christmas holiday. We filled our planters with berries and flowers, and potted up bulbs and little fir trees. It looked magical, and we planned a toast to our new garden and all the work that residents had put into it. We made a short film too. Then the flowers, berries, bulbs and fir trees were stolen after just a couple of days. Maddening. We have not replaced them as we don't want the same thing to happen again.
Might get something less colourful, though the whole point was to brighten up the area outside.
Thursday 22 January 2015 3.15pm
Never mind - it still looks smashing and at least we have the pleasure of looking at our small green space and knowing we didn't steal the plants to put in it!
Saturday 24 January 2015 9.44am
The only solution is to plant these things up well in advance and not put them in situ until they have spread their roots. However it would make yuan transporting them difficult. The ones on The Cut don't suffer too much and I assume that is because it is a busy road. Work is going to start on Hatfields Green next month and I think we will need to keep our eyes open here so that's plants don't disappear.
Tuesday 27 January 2015 5.23pm
surely there are CCTV cameras covering Waterloo area where the new juice drum trees are? or in your block of flats Jazzy?

I'd be surprised if culprits are not on camera somewhere.
Wednesday 28 January 2015 11.03am
I just went to check on security cameras as there are some offices with them on Blackfriars Road, and they look down our street. They do not scan our garden area though. In some ways this is reassuring as we are not under surveillance. In other ways it is a pity as we could have seen the thief, though probably not be able to do much about it.
Wednesday 28 January 2015 5.24pm
No one would have shown you their recordings as it would be too much of a bother. When someone at Styles House chopped down a load of trees, the community police didn't ask to see TfLs recordings. CCTV is good for identifying potential witnesses but criminals cover their features when they know there are cameras around.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: