Lewisham Southwark College

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 29 January 2015 8.59am
This article has really annoyed me. S106 money was used to build the new cafe/hairdressers only a couple of years ago and that has now been demolished. Now, after put a huge LeSoCo sign on the front of the newly refurbished part of the building, they've changed the name. What a waste of public money.
Wednesday 11 February 2015 6.40pm
I didn't know about the lighting

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 11 February 2015 9.50pm
Residents in our block are really unhappy about the lights, as they shine into their bedrooms and living rooms. A bit more consideration from the college would be welcomed.
Thursday 12 February 2015 12.20am
I have emailed the person in charge and ask that they be turned off when the college is finished for the day. I have also written to the planning department and asked them to identify which of the many documents explains this design feature. Anyway, give it a year and it will close down all together. I have a bet it will become an International school of some description.
Thursday 12 February 2015 7.52am
Given that planning allowed super bright lights to go up on Isabella street without permission, I don't hold out much hope!
Thursday 12 February 2015 8.29am
The lights are extremely close to Styles, aren't they? This new multi coloured, constantly changing and what's more, on two differently angled large blank walls, looks attractive to passers by, but you wouldn't expect to have a nightly free disco without music in your bedroom. With luck they're just testing them, hold on to that hope. Surely they had to have Planning Permission ?You may find it with a magnifier somewhere or other.
Thursday 12 February 2015 12.54pm
It's not the sort of college known to attract bright people, so perhaps they're trying to make up for that with bright lights?
Thursday 12 February 2015 3.00pm
No, I don't hold much hope either Zoe. I'm still in shock that LBS has said that EV don't need to put in a planning application to install bright strip lights on top of the wall on Isabella Street - even though it is not owned by EV. Nor do they seem to care that the light is lighting up peoples' bedrooms.
Thursday 12 February 2015 4.36pm
The lighting may not require planning permission, but can be classed as a nuisance.

There's guidance at http://archive.defra.gov.uk/environment/quality/local/legislation/cnea/documents/statnuisance.pdf

Your first course of action would be to let the college know that the frequency and impact of the lighting is a nuisance to you. If they aren't willing to take action then the Environmental Health team at Southwark Council can advise you on how they can asses the nuisance and whether they will take action.
Thursday 12 February 2015 7.56pm
Thank you Truthmonkey. I have written to the on-site developers and awaiting a reply. I have also asked the officer in charge of the original planning application to point me in the direction of the document that described the facade just to see if it was on the planning application. We'll no doubt get something done eventually, but it is always a struggle getting the council to support residents; they always seem unwilling to upset businesses.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: