All Hallows Church

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
TTT
Wednesday 4 February 2015 12.43pm
Does anybody know what is happening with the (former) All Hallows Church, Copperfield Street corner Pepper Street?

There is a pamphlet affixed to the building saying it was used as a recording studio until 2001 and is now empty.
There has been a lot of activity going on in there recently, so I just wondered if anything is happening?

It would be a shame to lose it as a building (it's beautiful!), and I think it would make a wonderful community space!
Wednesday 4 February 2015 12.57pm
The site is owned by Southwark Cathedral and there was a very controversial scheme a few years ago that was eventually dropped due to local opposition.

(Put 'All Hallows' into the search box on this website and you will find lengthy forum threads and quite a few news stories)

The cathedral is now drawing up new plans to make use of the building long-term and is working more closely with the immediate neighbouring residents with the aim of doing this more harmoniously.

There's a little bit of info on the cathedral website:

http://cathedral.southwark.anglican.org/news/all-hallows

As to the current activity in the building, the cathedral's annual report (on the website) says this:

Quote:
In November 2012, we had become aware that squatters had taken up residence in All Hallows Church. The Chapter sought legal advice on how best to proceed and obtained a possession order at Lambeth County Court in late January 2013. An initial eviction took place in May but unfortunately the squatters broke straight back into the building despite security measures having been put in place. A further eviction order through the High Court was eventually obtained and the squatters removed in August. In order to make sure the buildings were occupied, the Chapter decided to enter into a short-life agreement with a local housing co-operative for them to occupy the site and provide accommodation for their tenants in exchange for carrying out some basic refurbishment on site. The new tenants moved in on the day of the eviction and there have been no further problems. The housing co-operative's tenants will continue to live at the church until such time as the Chapter wishes to bring the site back into use for social mission work.

The Dean of Southwark's annual report also talks about All Hallows:
http://cathedral.southwark.anglican.org/downloads/information/Annual_Report_2014.pdf

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 February 2015 8.46pm
I think this used to be the home of blackwing recording studio, (Eric Radcliffe) and was used for early Depeche Mode tracks and Yazoo (Alison Moyet, Vince clark) to record Upstairs at Erics. Perhaps they should rename the garden, Ted Bowman Gardens, in recognition of the work he put into it, and his community work in the local area.
TTT
Thursday 5 February 2015 12.46pm
Ah, thanks guys!
Fills me with a little bit of comfort to know it's owned by Southwark Cathedral.
I guess the council likes putting shiny new glassy things, though I would much prefer if the building was preserved.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: