Efficiency of Chaucer ward councillors

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 11.45am
The other thread about Community Councils has reminded me of something councillor-related.

The road outside of our house is full of potholes and is very dangerous. It obviously hasn't been touched for 35 years, since the roadway was installed (if that's the right word). In its wisdom, the highways department recently resurfaced a third of the roadway but left behind the most dangerous defects. Both the housing manager and myself have been in touch with the highways department to ask that they repair/resurface the most dangerous bit which they left, but to no avail.

Two weeks ago, I asked one of our local Labour ward councillors to investigate. He has not even had the courtesy to reply. All the while the road is literally an accident waiting to happen. I've therefore e-mailed the two other (Labour) councillors in the hope that one of them will take it up.

What is the point of having ward councillors if they're unwilling to engage with the community they ostensibly serve on matters important not only to me but to 50 other residents? What is the motivating factor for one seeking to be a councillor if it isn't to help/serve the community you've promised to?
Tuesday 10 February 2015 11.49am
In fairness, immediately after posting my first post above, I have had a reply from one of the other ward councillors, CC'ing the other two, and have had an instant response.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 12.40pm
If Cllrs responded to every complaint or query immediately there would need to be twice as many cllrs.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 12.55pm
Not sure that I agree, ProfessorPlum. Until June we lived in Riverside ward and our Lib Dem councillors there did a fine job of replying timeously, often within minutes. The fact that one of the other Labour councillors did reply instantly to my chase-up e-mail (sent this morning) shows that they are not overburdened and that it is indeed possible for them to take up matters on behalf of constituents/residents.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 4.18pm
It is also worth lobbying Valerie Shawcross (who represents Lambeth and Southwark) and Caroline Pidgeon (who chairs the Transport Committee and is a former LBS Councillor) of the London Assembly as well as Simon Huges.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 7.52pm
I'm sure your councillors will be much more visible and responsive Gavin, after all there is an general election coming up.
Wednesday 11 February 2015 11.29am
Thanks Jules, I will contact Val Shawcross and/or Caroline Pidgeon if I don't get anywhere.

You're quite right, Peter; I'm sure we'll see lots of them in the coming weeks!
Friday 8 May 2015 6.39am
looking pretty efficient this am!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: