Stamford Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 1 March 2015 9.41am
Has anyone seen any work done on Stamford Street? Nothing seems to be happening and it's caused traffic mayhem. I'm surprised that the emergency services haven't complained; I've seen ambulances stuck several times on The Cut in the last three weeks. IT's been pretty useful for Sea Containers House though :)
Sunday 1 March 2015 1.22pm
I am also getting rather frustrated at the lack of works. Do you recall last month when the council carried out ridiculously noisy work on The Cut all night, as they felt The Cut was too important to close during the day. Apparently they don't feel the same when developers ask to close roads.
Sunday 1 March 2015 7.27pm
It has re opened east bound not clear why it had to be closed for so long
Sunday 1 March 2015 8.58pm
It was to connect gas and electricity infrastructure for the One Blackfriars skyscraper development site.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 2 March 2015 9.36am
Three weeks seems a bit excessive then and I saw absolutely nothing happening in the first week.
Monday 2 March 2015 10.03am
Karen I wrote:
Three weeks seems a bit excessive then and I saw absolutely nothing happening in the first week.

It's the contractor shuffle. They want as many jobs as possible, ideally twice as many or so as they have the manpower to actually do simultaneously. Goes like this;

1. Over quote job timescales by a factor of 2-3.
2. Start every job bang on time - squat that highway!
3. You're now incumbent. Relax. Do a bit more of 1 and 2
4. Finish 'on time'

My guess is that the only metrics the council every measure are the easy ones - whether agreed start and end times are met. The fact they're being hoodwinked with timescales that are 50-75% over-quoted doesn't seem to bother them, nor does the attendant street clutter and pointless loss of amenity.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: