Watching the rugby at the Charles Dickens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 2 March 2015 1.01pm
Before I start on the main thrust of this post, I'd like to say that in general, I like the Charles Dickens pub on Union Street. It has an interesting range of beers, value food, and, while not a 'regular', I'm probably in there a couple of times a month and sometimes take reasonably-sized groups of people after meetings.

Yesterday, I thought I'd go there for lunch and to watch the rugby union international. There was a blackboard outside advertising that they'd be showing some other sport at 1600, but there are two rooms and a lot of screens.

Before ordering, I asked whether they'd be showing the rugby and was assured that they would. So, we ordered food and a drink each.

Just before the national anthems, some of the screens were changed over to show the action from Dublin. So far so good. Another round was ordered.

A few minutes into the match, the commentary for the international was turned off and replaced with the screaming commentary from a local league football match. Apparently, they only have one sound channel.

After being told that having the other commmentary on wasn't a mistake, I left to go to the Trinity, which was much better even though we did have to stand.

The Charles Dickens obviously has the right to show whatever they want in their pub - if they'd rather have the six people they had there watching the football rather than be rammed like the pubs showing the rugby, that's up to them.

But I felt that they'd rather misrepresented what they were offering in order to trick me out of my money and am much less likely to take my custom there in future.

Is that reasonable?
Monday 2 March 2015 1.56pm
In a word, no, it's not reasonable. Unfair of them to have taken your money on false pretences. As you say, it's up to them what they choose to screen but they should be upfront about it. You might have even got a seat in the Trinity had you known from the off.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: