Quietway Cornwall Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 10 March 2015 1.05pm
Has anyone looked at the consultation on the proposed quietway for cycles along Cornwall Way. It is proposed to close Exton Street and Alaska Street so the only way into the Roupell/Whittlesey/Theed Street complex would be via Stamford Street and Cornwall Road. If you are coming from Kennington that would require a long detour. Thye say they want to stop rat-runnning on Cornwall Road which does happen, although not on a huge scale.

Any ideas? I used to live in Roupell Street and was part of the campaign to make it one way eastbound past Theed Street, perhaps if you can't get to Waterloo it should be reopened as two way, at least we could come in via Hatfields.
Tuesday 10 March 2015 1.49pm
Link to the consultation details here:

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/consultations/proposed-cycling-quietway-in-waterloo

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 10 March 2015 4.41pm
I have always believed that the North Lambeth Tenants' Association or whatever it is that represents the Roupell Street area are selfish. They fought very hard to get Cornwall Road and Roupell Street cut off by barriers and one way systems to the detriment of the rest of us who live in the area, especially Hatfields.

Cornwall Road is not a rat-run. How can it be when the street has barriers across it between Wooton Street and Brad Street preventing all motor traffic access.

There are two roads that connect The Cut and Stamford Street and they are Cornwall Road and Hatfields. Because of the successful campaign to get barriers put across Cornwall Road and two across different points of Windmill Walk all Stamford Street/The Cut traffic has been channelled on to Hatfields.
And now because of the threat of noisy bicycles and their routes and the necessary planning you want to use Hatfields because you are going to be slightly inconvenienced. As you can guess I have no sympathy with your plight as you had none with us on Hatfields who have suffered the inconvenience of not being able to use Roupell Street and have had to suffer all the through traffic so that you could have a quiet life.
Tuesday 10 March 2015 6.35pm
Please can we all do our best not to make this another 'us and them' thread?

Tuesday 10 March 2015 6.45pm
Thanks James. In fact I did not support the closure of Cornwall Road, but some who lived there felt like some do on Hatfields.

I was genuinely trying to seek ideas. Not clear to me that making cycling safer and quieter requires access to Cornwall Road to be closed off. So, again, any ideas?
Zoe
Wednesday 11 March 2015 9.26pm
Would a meeting be useful to discuss this in more depth? I am sure that councillors from both sides of the border would be happy to come and we can host in Styles.
Monday 16 March 2015 3.18pm
A Lambeth officer will be talking about Quietways at this Wednesday's WCDG meeting.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: