New Tower on Albert Embankment

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 11 March 2015 7.20pm
I don't know the Westbury Estate, but I am assuming it is an existing council estate. The payment in lieu of (un)affordable housing is going to be spent building some new homes on this estate. That probably means the existing residents will lose some valuable open space. Most of these estates were purpose built so that all flats had a decent amount of light, and a decent amount of sunlight, and development on the site is likely to interfere with this. It might even mean that people will be looking into each others' properties. I don't know why this is deemed to be fair. We need low paid workers to be able to live in the city because many of them work there. I'm also getting a bit fed-up with 'landmark buildings', because all it means is lots of glass, tall and an unusual shape. It's easy-peasy to design this kind of building - a kid could do it - it's the clever engineers that have to make it work. It is much harder to design a building that fits in with its environment, is environmentally friendly and made to last...... I don't know why I feel like ranting about this building; it's miles away. I think I might be developing a strange reaction to the words 'affordable housing'!

Related news & features

Wednesday 11 March 2015 8.03pm
Just on a technicality - in contrast to Southwark's approach, in this case Lambeth is not receiving a payment in lieu.

The private developer will actually build the new homes on the Westbury Estate (to the value of c. 12.9 million) and then hand them over to the council.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 11 March 2015 8.12pm
I feel like a rant too, and this is even further away.
The ranting comes from a growing uneasiness about injustice, inequality and greed, and people being pushed around by forces that seem to be out of their control. It is happening all over our city, and now farther afield in Bristol too.
The reaction to so called "affordable housing" is because we know we are being lied to, and it is not affordable for many of us. This means we are being forced out of areas that we call home, so that others can make money and then move on to the next area and the next.
Rant over. Pause for breath.
Wednesday 11 March 2015 8.56pm
This is a photograph of the Westbury Estate on Wikimedia.
Wednesday 11 March 2015 9.07pm
Thanks James. I'm not sure what I think about this, at least homes will definitely be built in Lambeth. It seems to me that LBS just keeps banking the money.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: