Tanner Street traffic calming measures

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 12 March 2015 9.44pm
As a resident with small children I am appalled at the very high speed of lorries, taxies, cars and especially motorcyclists driving down Tanner Street coming from Tower Bridge Road. Most of them use this road as a short cut to get to London Bridge Station since a right turn into Druid Street is prohibited or, coming from the opposite side, they simply don't want to drive up to Druid Street and wait for the traffic light. I find it has become particularly bad in the last couple of months. One proposal would be to close Tanner Street to traffic from Tower Bridge Road and open up Druid Street. The other one would be to not allow through traffic via Tanner Street (I believe they want to introduce a similar model on Bermondsey Street which is a great idea). If both are not possible for whatever reason, the council/TFL should consider putting further speed bumps in place as the speeding issue is just an accident waiting to happen. Other residents expressed similar concerns.
Friday 13 March 2015 12.43am
nikolaim wrote:
As a resident with small children I am appalled at the very high speed of lorries, taxies, cars and especially motorcyclists driving down Tanner Street coming from Tower Bridge Road. Most of them use this road as a short cut to get to London Bridge Station since a right turn into Druid Street is prohibited or, coming from the opposite side, they simply don't want to drive up to Druid Street and wait for the traffic light. I find it has become particularly bad in the last couple of months. One proposal would be to close Tanner Street to traffic from Tower Bridge Road and open up Druid Street. The other one would be to not allow through traffic via Tanner Street (I believe they want to introduce a similar model on Bermondsey Street which is a great idea). If both are not possible for whatever reason, the council/TFL should consider putting further speed bumps in place as the speeding issue is just an accident waiting to happen. Other residents expressed similar concerns.

Why pussyfoot around? Don't be mealy mouthed.
Say what you really mean, what you'd really, really like to see.
Close every side road in London, and as many main roads as you can get away with.
Ban all traffic except cycles and buses, have all deliveries done by parachute.
If people need to get to a station with lots of luggage, let them walk, carrying it on their heads.
Oh, and not for nothing, but there is no E in taxis.
Friday 13 March 2015 7.54am
Actually, that's not what I am saying if you had read it properly. My biggest concern is cars coming down at high speeds from Tower Bridge Road into a residential area with children coming in and out of the park. I have seen near accidents several times. I suggested a couple of things how this could be addressed.
Friday 13 March 2015 8.30am
The through traffic via Tanner Street Leathermarket Street and Weston Street has got ridiculous over the years. Its not just since the closing of St Thomas Street for the London Bridge Station works. It has been getting ever worse over the last 20 years. Congestion Charging hasn't made any difference. A few years ago someone from TfL was counting vehicle traffic but I never heard anything more from that. The only solution is to allow a right turn for Southbound traffic as it crosses Tower Bridge into Druid Street when St Thomas Street reopens. HGVs can't turn right into Abbey Street as the turn is too tight. Yes this moves the traffic to a different road but apart from the first part of Druid Street after Tower Bridge Road it isn't residential. The Tanner Street Leathermarket Street Weston Street route is almost entirely residential.
Friday 13 March 2015 10.44am
Yes, permitting the right at Druid Street for southbound traffic, and prohibiting the right at Tanner Street, might be a good thing. Especially as the Druid Street junction is already traffic-light controlled – and the no right-hand turn is largely ignored (as anyone who’s sat at the window of the Cat and Cucumber will know). As a temporary measure though, traffic-calming would certainly help for that little rat-run. And agree about the motorcycles!
Friday 13 March 2015 1.40pm
richard_badger wrote:
Yes, permitting the right at Druid Street for southbound traffic, and prohibiting the right at Tanner Street, might be a good thing. Especially as the Druid Street junction is already traffic-light controlled – and the no right-hand turn is largely ignored (as anyone who’s sat at the window of the Cat and Cucumber will know). As a temporary measure though, traffic-calming would certainly help for that little rat-run. And agree about the motorcycles!

I wouldn't say that the no right turn into Druid is LARGELY ignored, but it often is, or was.
On a lot of occasions I've seen a copper under the arches further along Druid, waiting for just these lawbreakers.
If the right turn was permitted at Druid, BUT eliminated at Tanner, I think that there'd be a longish tailback toward the bridge while traffic waited to make this turn, this of course could be obviated by a right turn filter after halting north bound traffic at the lights.
However, with TFLs don't ease traffic flow, make it worse attitude, this could take months to to be realised.
Friday 13 March 2015 2.04pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
richard_badger wrote:

I wouldn't say that the no right turn into Druid is LARGELY ignored, but it often is, or was.
On a lot of occasions I've seen a copper under the arches further along Druid, waiting for just these lawbreakers.
If the right turn was permitted at Druid, BUT eliminated at Tanner, I think that there'd be a longish tailback toward the bridge while traffic waited to make this turn, this of course could be obviated by a right turn filter after halting north bound traffic at the lights.
However, with TFLs don't ease traffic flow, make it worse attitude, this could take months to to be realised.

I suugested this to TfL about 8 years ago....surprisingly I never got a reply!
Friday 13 March 2015 2.25pm
urbanite wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
richard_badger wrote:

I suugested this to TfL about 8 years ago....surprisingly I never got a reply!

I rest my case.
Friday 13 March 2015 3.16pm
I guess the no left hand turn at Abbey street-the bit that goes into Long Lane means traffic goes to Tanner Street to turn left as well may not be many cars but adds up.
Monday 16 March 2015 6.45pm
Southwark Cyclists have been lobbying for reduced through traffic in the Tanner St area. Recent discussions were about the Central Grid route proposed in the Mayor's Vision for Cycling. The grid is planned to run along Tanner St. If this goes ahead, then there will be measures to reduce/slow traffic there.
From these discussions it was clear that Southwark Council is aware of problems in this area and wants to do something about it. I think they have already been in discussion with local groups (not sure who) about life after the London Bridge Station work is complete and the Guys Cancer Centre is finished. The aspiration is to remove through traffic completely from the square between the Railway, Tower Bridge Road, Long Lane and Borough High St. As far as possible roads would be access only, keeping plenty road space for local residents, businesses and Guys Hospital.
A wider debate on these issues is long overdue.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: