Electoral registration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 26 March 2015 4.38pm
Having lived in Southwark for 66 years and without fail voted when ever possible, I was amazed when returning from my daughters to find a form requiring me to vote. It was addressed to Jan then surname. Only my family and friends call me Jan and of course on the Forum. Anything official is addressed to Jean T.

I phoned and asked why this form had been sent to me as I had registered online ages ago. A very helpful and puzzled young man called Fitz said..aah you have been G marked!

This apparently means I can not vote in the General Election because I am a European citizen! He is going to investigate and let me know. I told him there will be quite a fuss if it is not sorted in time, people died all over the world for the right to Vote.

Wonder if I went online again and registered officially as Jan, letting my national insurance be revealed, saying when I moved to Bartholomew street...1981 approximately I would have 2 votes!
Monday 30 March 2015 8.53am
Still no response, only 38 days left..no voting because I have G mark by my name, at this rate I can't vote at all. Anyone from electoral registration reading this! What should I do next?
Monday 30 March 2015 3.27pm
Hi Jan, I'm having a similar issue. I moved home (within Southwark) in October, since then I've completed both of the paper electoral forms they have sent me. In February I received a letter to the effect of no-one in this household is registered to vote. I've since gone online and registered for a third time and have received no confirmation. Today I've emailed electoralenquiries@southwark.gov.uk to request an update, maybe you could do the same, failing that perhaps try the local MPs, see who is hungriest for the vote.

What a waste of time, how this is better than the previous system I really don't know. Probably a scam to get national insurance numbers - numpties. I've never had such a fuss to register my vote!
Monday 30 March 2015 3.43pm
I've been in trouble with electoral register too. I live in SE1 since Sep 2013 and I registered to the electoral roll almost immediately at the time; about one month ago I received a letter from Electoral Services saying that they believe I don't live in that property anymore, without any other explaination. I had to send a proof of address (basically a bill statement) but they were still not convinced and wrote me again, asking me to send a proof of identity.

Now they said I should be considered for the next update, 1st of May, unless any objection (by who, and why?)

I am puzzled...
Monday 30 March 2015 5.27pm
I have had a similar issue
I am pretty sure latter half of last year I got one of the standard letters with my name on it saying if no changes no action.
Fast forward to last month and I had a blank form requiring action - I suspect there has been some playing around with the electoral list by someone!!! Not pointing any fingers
Southwark council should explain themselves
Monday 30 March 2015 5.47pm
Too true someone should explain, I am wondering if my identity has been stolen, and my true self is no longer elderly lady with a walking stick, but a young man! Where are the offices for electoral registration actually based? I feel a personal visit is required!
Monday 30 March 2015 5.59pm
Definitely summat funny going on.
Had a letter saying who was registered to vote at my address, and if no change was required then to do nothing.
Then an email came requesting proof of identity in order to register to vote.
A telephone call did not result in things becoming much clearer than mud.
Frustrating and confusing
Monday 30 March 2015 6.14pm
This is a national rather than local issue, as the government has changed the rules and now insists on individual registration. I had a right time registering for a postal vote and was quite put out that I was being asked to register as a new person, like I had just moved in.

It's not a scam, just a lot of beuracracy that the government didn't previously ask for. Still annoying though.
Monday 30 March 2015 7.42pm
I'm confused. Do I need to do anything; I've been registered at this address since the 80s?
Monday 30 March 2015 9.15pm
I had a letter addressed to me as Sue saying I was not registered to vote. I use my full name Susan for all official stuff and I checked and I was registered.
Amusingly the letter was typed with the name Frances xxxxxx under the signature of Fran.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: