Want to see if a WW2 Bomb was dropped in your street ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 8 April 2015 6.14pm
Wednesday 8 April 2015 10.27pm
Have known for a while that my block was built on a bombsite, but the Bermondsey bomb also made me think that hopefully there aren't any more buried underneath us that did not go off :P
Sunday 12 April 2015 5.00pm
Yes they found aan unexploded bomb after the war in the entrance to Peabody Buildings,Roupell Street.If it had exploded half the buildings & Roupell Street would have been gone. Margaret
Monday 13 April 2015 10.04am
What a fascinating website! thank you for posting -
Zoe
Monday 13 April 2015 9.12pm
The ones around us were dropped between Oct 1940 and June 1941, so it will be 75 years very soon. We should do something!
Tuesday 14 April 2015 9.41pm
What a turn around, I have a fuzzy memory of my old mum wrapping me in an eiderdown at about 14 months old, and carrying me to the air raid shelter.
Now I have a grandson in the Luftwaffe!
Thursday 16 April 2015 7.54am
Looks like the one on Gambia Street was 75 years too early.
Tuesday 5 May 2015 10.07am
One of the reason for cost overruns at the 2012 Olympics is the budget for bomb disposal was insufficient for what they found.
Wednesday 6 May 2015 1.23pm
John_Corey wrote:
One of the reason for cost overruns at the 2012 Olympics is the budget for bomb disposal was insufficient for what they found.

Just over the Ruckholt Road opposite the Olympic Park there was a large crater. The site was where a landmine was detonated after it had been carried by horse and cart from St Paul's, where it had crashed through the roof but luckily failed to detonate.
Wednesday 6 May 2015 5.43pm
One landed on thge railway tunnel at the junction of Tanner Street and Druid killing over 70 people who were sheltering there. There is a plaque on the wall on the Druid Street side of the tunnel to commerate it.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: