Scam/con or individual in genuine need?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 9 April 2015 12.07pm
I was recently accosted in the Shad Thames area by an individual who claimed to need 18 immediately, so that he and a partner (who allegedly were sleeping rough locally) could secure six months accommodation in "King George's", which apparently was nearby. Having been a victim of similar-sounding scams in the past, I refused. Needless to say, however, the entire episode was rather troubling.

The individual concerned did not look like someone who was sleeping rough, though neither did he look well-off. For what it's worth, he was a skinny, thirty-something white guy, with a London accent. Further research on my part has shown that there is a King George's hostel - however, it focuses on single homeless men in Westminster.

How much chance is there that this individual's story could have been true?
Thursday 9 April 2015 2.21pm
Hello, I've also met this guy but it was in November/December last year when it was bitterly cold. Same story except he had a result with me and I gave him 20.

He did seem pretty convincing and offered to introduce me to his partner etc but I couldn't be bothered at that point.
Thursday 9 April 2015 7.14pm
Best thing to do, is to suggest they contact Shelter for help and advice.
Thursday 9 April 2015 7.56pm
Or perhaps haul them off to the local constabulary...

In any case, Shelter don't work on Bank Holiday evenings.
Friday 10 April 2015 9.07am
It's a scam encouraged by kind hearted and misguided people like NickTheGreek. If you truly want to help those less fortunate than yourself give your money to a registered charity not individuals on the street.

Don't buy gold rings made of brass from strangers who pretend they have just found it.

Don't give 5 to the man that needs it for petrol for his car that has run out just round the corner and never where you can see it.

Don't give a pound for the man's fare, if he lives that close he can walk home.

And if the man keeps on saying "pliz, pliz, pliz" just ignore him.

Give to registered charities, I do, but be prepared to be bombarded with even more request for help.
Friday 10 April 2015 10.42am
"Misguided", hardly.

The only reason I gave the guy the money is because it was freezing cold and I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and told him that I hoped he wasn't taking the piss.

Quite hard to turn someone down (if their situation is genuine) as you're walking back to your nice warm house in Shad Thames, mulling over how many sausages to have with mash for dinner.

I like to try and have faith in people.

I'm hoping to bump into him again now.
Friday 10 April 2015 11.38am
NickTheGreek wrote:
"Misguided", hardly.
The only reason I gave the guy the money is because it was freezing cold and I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and told him that I hoped he wasn't taking the piss.

Quite hard to turn someone down (if their situation is genuine) as you're walking back to your nice warm house in Shad Thames, mulling over how many sausages to have with mash for dinner.

I like to try and have faith in people.

I agree.

On a couple of occasions I have been approached by far less subtle individuals, who would introduce themselves with the line: "Don't worry, I am not going to smash your face in, but I need a couple of quid to get home..." Nice.
Sunday 12 April 2015 12.12am
Don't leave them on the street take them home with you and feed them some of your sausages and mash and then you can do good by them and feel good too and you can discover if they are genuine or not.
Sunday 12 April 2015 9.05am
"Invite them home to see if they're genuine." Haha, brilliant!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: