Another 'landmark' building

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 9 April 2015 9.28pm
I'm beginning to hate (and dread) the term 'landmark' building. But it has made me wonder; at what point does a landmark building become a 'normal' building. And, what will all those people who have bought a multi-million pound apartment with view do when they no longer have a view?
Thursday 9 April 2015 10.18pm
Karen I wrote:
I'm beginning to hate (and dread) the term 'landmark' building. But it has made me wonder; at what point does a landmark building become a 'normal' building.

When it becomes 'iconic' of course.

Before a new building it becomes a 'landmark', it may be blessed otherwise by those of the property coven. So, Developers, their Marketing and PR slaves, and as a result, Estate Agents, (who are incapable of original thinking) are limited in the words they can use to describe the properties they promote.

Don't worry, they don't take it seriously, so neither should we.
Thursday 9 April 2015 10.33pm
Karen I wrote:
And, what will all those people who have bought a multi-million pound apartment with view do when they no longer have a view?

Complain vociferously of course and cite the fact that they have expended millions of pounds as a reason why their view cannot be blighted and why they should be exempt from the crazy planning laws that apply to the rest of us.
Friday 10 April 2015 11.40am
Just how much power do developers have?
Friday 10 April 2015 7.12pm
Don't worry. There will be few complaints about the views from the "iconic" or "landmark" "Multi million pound" flats.

Why?

Because they will be empty, but gaining in value as we stand gazing up at them.

Why would anyone complain?
Friday 10 April 2015 9.34pm
Just as we are losing our views, some of the new Landmark buildings will lose their view as the next landmark building goes up, so will they really go up in value? Some of the flats in NeoBankside must have gone down in value now their views have been interrupted by the extension to the Tate.
Friday 10 April 2015 9.59pm
Well, they are crammed in to a small space and some of them look into our kitchen windows at QH. I would not pay millions for that view, nor for the view of the Tate extension. The promised spectacular London skyline view is just for the very few.

Looking out just now though, most of the windows are dark. Early nights, or empty investor properties?
Sunday 12 April 2015 2.35pm
Oh yes; iconic. Another over-used word.
Sunday 12 April 2015 3.47pm
You are forgetting "touchstone building" which was used (by Southwark planners) to justify the height of the Music Box building in Union Street.

Apparently it means that tourists can navigate between Southwark tube station and Tate Modern using this 14-storey tower as a "touchstone".

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7681
Sunday 12 April 2015 6.18pm
nelson_ wrote:
You are forgetting "touchstone building" which was used (by Southwark planners) to justify the height of the Music Box building in Union Street.
Apparently it means that tourists can navigate between Southwark tube station and Tate Modern using this 14-storey tower as a "touchstone".

That is such a pompous and downright stupid suggestion by Michael Tsoukaris. The tourists will have their heads down gazing at their phones for directions. In any event I doubt that the utterly dire looking Music Box will aid them in finding their way. Southwark Planners, you've done the borough a disservice yet again.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: