Mar Terra Gambia Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 11 April 2015 4.33pm
I have just literally walked down Gambia street a half hour ago on my way to Marks and Spencer. I am wearing sandals today for the first time in ages due to the nice weather.

As I walked passed the door to the restaurant i have had a broken bit of a drinks glass tear through my foot. it was deep enough to require a bit of a tug to remove.

I knocked on the door to Mar Terra where i asked for some tissue as my foot began to run with blood. I said to them that they have a duty of care for the pavement outside their premises. The response to which was "this is nothing to do with us, we are just opening now so you can say what you want". I said you are wiping down glasses inside whilst there is glass all over the front of your premises? He then walked inside and proceeded to protest in spanish something about Gringo this gringo that. when another man came out to say the same thing, nothing to do with us and went in and slammed the door. I went home and got my partner to go and get pictures of the glass. They still hadn't bothered to clean it up. its 5 PM in the afternoon and they hadn't bothered. Ruined my night. now i am wondering if i will require stitches as it is **gross alert** flapping a bit.
Saturday 11 April 2015 6.59pm
See if the minor injury unit is still open Sam, apart from stitches you may pick up infection. That staff member sounds a right prat, ( sorry reverting to cockney roots) phone and ask for the manager, he may technically be right..but a bit of kindness and care would not go amiss.
Saturday 11 April 2015 7.13pm
from looking online, the position of the glass (directly outside their entrance) is their responsibility to be cleaned in a 'timely manner'. I can understand if it was 8 in the morning but it was 5 pm in the afternoon. and the staff tried to say that it must have happened last night. If thats the case they have not cleaned it in a timely manner. Whilst they were inside cleaning tables the glass was left outside. The area has a heavy footfall for a small side street and they should know better. Especially as there is a childrens playpark merely 15 meters away.

I have emailed the restaurant with the information as well as forwarded to the council as i am not expecting much of a response from the restaurant, based on the initial encounter.

I will enquire about the minor injuries. Thank you Jan.
Saturday 11 April 2015 9.16pm
Wonder what happened to just being a decent human being?
Sunday 12 April 2015 12.29am
It's the way the world's going, at least as far as ome are concerned - giving in to disillusionment, resentment, sense of entitlement and plain selfishness...
Sunday 12 April 2015 11.48am
Unfortunately this is generally reflective of the appalling manager(s) at Mar i Terra. They've got no regard to good service, being decent neighbours or now, common decency. I've stopped eating here (despite liking the food) because the two men who run it are just so unpleasant.
Sunday 12 April 2015 12.36pm
GaryWM wrote:
Unfortunately this is generally reflective of the appalling manager(s) at Mar i Terra. They've got no regard to good service, being decent neighbours or now, common decency. I've stopped eating here (despite liking the food) because the two men who run it are just so unpleasant.

I think that's the problem when local restaurants etc. cater mainly for non-local workers and tourists, i.e. punters that are easily replaceable. Mar I Terra probably don't have to worry about retaining customers, people will come anyway for undemanding after-work food/drinks. Only been there once, won't go again, as there are at least 2 more similar restaurants which much better food and service in the area.
Sunday 12 April 2015 6.26pm
I've often wondered whether "gringo" was in some way, a derogatory or even racist word.
Turns out it basically means not from around here, or foreigners perhaps.
So, what our Spanish friend was actually saying was...

Bloody foreigners :)
Monday 13 April 2015 8.28am
boroughonian wrote:
I've often wondered whether "gringo" was in some way, a derogatory or even racist word.
Turns out it basically means not from around here, or foreigners perhaps.
So, what our Spanish friend was actually saying was...

Bloody foreigners :)

Don't take this for gospel, but I read years back that when Texas and other States bordering Mexico were being settled, that the early settlers would sing traditional old songs around their campfires, and the native Mexicans would hear them.
Allegedly, one song was "Green grow the rushes O", and the Mexicans convoluted "Green go" into gringo, to describe the new American immigrants to the area.
I reiterate, don't hold me to it if it turns out to be a crock.
Monday 13 April 2015 10.17am
I like your version Tom!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: