Open Streets - 30 May 2015

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Monday 13 April 2015 6.38pm
This is taking place on Great Suffolk Street from 11am - 4pm:
http://www.openstreetslondon.com/uploads/2/2/6/7/22676792/gss_announcement.pdf

If you want more information, or want to get involved, contact Hannah at:
gss@openstreetslondon.com
Monday 13 April 2015 7.25pm
Hmm let me just check with the neighbours if any of us were asked if we wanted this.
Monday 13 April 2015 8.35pm
One question - what's the point?
Monday 13 April 2015 8.46pm
Last year it was planned for Blackfriars Road but I believe TfL pulled out. I think it's just meant to be a fun day Boss St Bloke. It's an odd street to select though because it's a bit of a wind trap, and I don't think it gets much sun.
Monday 13 April 2015 8.46pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
One question - what's the point?

One Reply - Because it's fun and aggregates communities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MSsAG8DOzs
Monday 13 April 2015 10.14pm
Because middle class white people on bicycles demand it, it seems, poor oppressed souls, fight the power!
Tuesday 14 April 2015 5.15am
I'm white but not middle class, but I like streets without cars, even if it's just for a day. Aren't cars more middle class than bikes these days anyway? Look at cities like bogota where they do this every week, it is fantastic for families and kids to go out and play in the streets and not worry about getting killed.
Tuesday 14 April 2015 6.01am
Which part of Bogotá is like great Suffolk St?
The only tyranny of cars we have is at the weekends when people from suburbia use us as a car park. Sunday is the one restful day when people noise is at a minimum.

The main point is though that the p.r blurb says in consultation with residents and so far I can't see any evidence they did.
Tuesday 14 April 2015 6.15am
How much noise will there be? Are there nightshift workers on the street, it being halfway between 2 hospitals. It's easy to sleep through cars and sirens but people talking is surprisingly annoying. Will there be loud music?
What if I have a disability and can't walk far, how do I access my car?
Will there be food stalls, what level of smell and smoke will there be? What is the cleanup plan?
I was planning to move on that day, I will need to use a van. For how many hours between setup & cleanup will the road be closed?
How long is the consultation period?
Tuesday 14 April 2015 6.57am
catflap wrote:
How much noise will there be? Are there nightshift workers on the street, it being halfway between 2 hospitals. It's easy to sleep through cars and sirens but people talking is surprisingly annoying. Will there be loud music?
What if I have a disability and can't walk far, how do I access my car?
Will there be food stalls, what level of smell and smoke will there be? What is the cleanup plan?
I was planning to move on that day, I will need to use a van. For how many hours between setup & cleanup will the road be closed?
How long is the consultation period?

You have until 30th of May, that's more than 6 weeks, to either have all your questions answered or take any action you deem appropriate against the open street day. Personally, I think it should be be fun.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: