Gregorian Arms closed?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 15 April 2015 6.38am
Anyone know anything? Never went there and heard mixed things about it but it's a pity to see a pub that size closed down on the main street.
Wednesday 15 April 2015 8.25am
It's been taken over by Antic

http://anticlondon.com

https://twitter.com/gregorianse16

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 15 April 2015 1.24pm
Looks like they're not due to re-open until May so where am I going to take the kids to wee when we're watching the marathon in a couple of weeks time?
Thursday 16 April 2015 10.17pm
"Looks like they're not due to re-open until May so where am I going to take the kids to wee when we're watching the marathon in a couple of weeks time?"

Jeese! NO wonder the Gregorian closed with people like you taking advantage!

Why would your kids want to stand in a crowd for hours on end anyway?

I hate the marathon because everyone thinks they have the right to treat the place like it's a toilet and throw rubbish everywhere and leave the streets covered in rubbish.

I guess your kids will be contributing to the general miasma more than usual this year.
Friday 17 April 2015 8.50am
Davies I think you owe Miriam an apology.How dare you insinuate everybody to be like the minority who do litter because whenever I took my kids to watch the marathon myself and my kids would not litter...Miriam the marathon is April 26 so the Greg may not be open in time...hope you and your children have a good day....
Friday 17 April 2015 9.11am
Yes, Davies your comments about the Marathon may well be valid but I don't think it's fair to direct your ire at Miriam for posting an innocuous question / comment.

[Anyone who tries to turn this thread into an extended argument about the marathon will have their posts removed]

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 17 April 2015 2.22pm
Thank you James and Real-Crimes. My kids and I love watching the marathon, it is a fun few hours out. I abhor litter bugs and my kids are brought up with the same respect and values I have so my kids will not be contributing to the general miasma as Davies so churlishly suggests. And, as I assume Davies is insinuating, I do not intend letting my kids use the street as a toilet, if I had why would I have even asked the question (which was meant in light hearted jest) in the first place.

I also have to point out that it always seemed to me that the Gregorian did quite nicely out of marathon day and actively encouraged people in to use the toilets given that for the last few years they've had big signs outside directing to the toilets. I am sure most people, my family included, purchase plenty of refreshments from the Gregorian, as a result of their welcoming atmosphere.

It's also worth noting the fantastic clean-up job that is carried out at the end of the marathon, we always go to watch the tail end of the marathon because the kids love seeing all the costumes and cheering on those who deserve that little extra encouragement, so we're usually there when the army of street sweepers come through and I'm always amazed at how efficient the clean up process is.

Anyway, I am pleased to see that the Gregorian is re-opening (even if it's not in time for the marathon) and I hope the refurbishment is sympathetic and it keeps it's traditional boozer feel.
Friday 17 April 2015 4.56pm
I wish Paula Radcliffe had visited the Greg', urrgghh right in front of us in Tooley St.
Friday 17 April 2015 10.37pm
OK.
I found Miriams post about her only concern about the Gregorians closing being where were her children going to pee offensive.

I freely admit that the wretched and disgraceful littering that is the hallmark of the London Marathon is absolutely mo fault of Miriam or her children.

Nevertheless I stand by my view that pubs are not free facilities for children but businesses and if Miriam wants her kids to have somewhere to pee maybe next tine she should buy something.

Maybe she does, I do nit know, however it is the sense of entitlement for no implied contribution that I found offensive in her post:
Friday 17 April 2015 10.55pm
Addendum
It is not local busnisess job to provide toilets for people who are self confessed non customers.
It is the job of the Council to provide public toilets which they manifestly are not doing having sold them off as wine bars.

the fact that many people, many of them quite likely elderly, have lost their social hub is of not interest to Miriam who only cares as to where her children are to pee when she makes them stand in the road for hours.

I just found her attitude annoying.
There are other people in the world more affected than her and her toddlers.
Not to mention the staff of the Gregorian.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: