Cyclist/pedestrian collision yesterday - Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Wednesday 15 April 2015 3.37pm
Did anyone witness a collision between a cyclist riding at speed on the pavement on Tower Bridge Road, and a pedestrian, outside Sainsbury's yesterday, Tuesday 14 April, at approx. 6pm?

I was the pedestrian. I was walking to Sainbury's when the cyclist, bypassing the traffic queued at the traffic lights, hit me from the left at high speed - on the pavement, in a very sudden and violent impact. I was thrown onto the pavement, face first, with the cyclist and bike landing on my back. My baby finger was sticking out at a right angle and my head was bleeding profusely, I thought my nose was broken too. There was (my) blood all over the pavement and I was probably concussed.

The police and an ambulance were called, and the cyclist knew this, but on the pretence of going to lock up his bike down the side of Sainsbury's, he cycled off through Bermondsey Square, across the road and through the graveyard (with my husband running after him shouting at him to stop). The cyclist turned around and smiled as he sped off.

The police have CCTV footage of the incident and know what he looks like - tall, shaved head/bald, racer bike - but not his name or address yet. I just wondered if anyone saw the incident or the cyclist?

Thank you so much to the lovely lady who helped me off the ground, got me water from Sainsbury's and collected my shoes, glasses, handbag which were strewn across the pavement. She stayed around until the ambulance came and gave a statement to the police.

Also many thanks to the concierge in the apartment building beside Sainsbury's who brought me into the building to sit down and got me tissues, phoned the police and ambulance and was incredibly kind (sorry I bled all over your floor!). And the staff at Sainsbury's who also helped with water, tissues and phoning for an ambulance.

The police and ambulance crew were amazing and turned up really quickly. The staff at St. Thomas's hospital (where I was for 9 hours) were superb. The very best of the NHS and public sector!

As for me, suspected neck fracture (thankfully not fractured though), 4 x-rays, one CT scan, possibly fractured nose (they'll know more when the swelling goes down), two cuts with stitches which will leave scars on my forehead. Ankle sprain, bruises and cuts over my arms and legs. Currently, I'm now off work sick, with two black eyes, a swollen nose, stitches and feeling very scared to go out onto the street.

I just wanted to use this forum to say thanks to the helpful strangers - who gave their time and help - and if anyone recognised the cyclist at the scene or saw the accident.
Wednesday 15 April 2015 4.34pm
Andie, I'm sorry to hear about your horrible experience. The culprit sounds like a vile specimen and I hope he's soon caught and appropriately punished.

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery and I hope you regain your confidence about going out before too long.

Sorry I can't be any practical help, although I live nearby I wasn't in the vicinity at that time.
Wednesday 15 April 2015 4.58pm
I am so sorry to hear of this, and came close to having it happen to me at the crossing near Southwark tube station yesterday morning. The lights changed to green for pedestrians, and a cyclist went straight through the red traffic lights,directly across my path. I called out to him as he swooshed past, and he dismounted in the middle of the road and started pushing the bike onto the pavement. This behaviour terrifies me. No wonder you are scared to go out onto the street.
I wish you a speedy recovery from your many injuries Andie.
Wednesday 15 April 2015 5.58pm
I hope they catch that pirate!
Wednesday 15 April 2015 6.07pm
Thanks all, your kind words are much appreciated. I'm certainly a lot more wary now of cyclists in general never mind ones cycling on the pavement!
Wednesday 15 April 2015 6.26pm
Andie Mac,
As a keen road cyclist and cycle commuter can I say 'Ugggh - awful. So sorry.' There are some truly awful cyclists as there are truly awful drivers.... 'People on bikes' can be 'bad, dangerous, inconsiderate people' as well.

I sincerely hope they catch him. Unfortunately 50% of road accidents in London are followed by a failure to stop at the scene. Seems some cyclists are no better.....

get well soon.
Brendan
Wednesday 15 April 2015 7.28pm
Sorry to hear that Andie. Your description matches that of somebody known to the local police for multiple phone thefts in and around the Tooley Street over recent years. The law of probability would make it unlikely that it is the same person, but I hope for your sake it is the police will know exactly where to find him.
Thursday 16 April 2015 8.51am
Andie,

thats dreadful, hope they catch the blankety blank...and hope you recover. Is it worth putting it on Facebook? As it may be some one who knows this criminal may know who it is?

Pavement cyclists should be taken seriously as I have had several near misses in new kent road, and often wish I would be quick enough to stick my walking stick through their wheels.
Thursday 16 April 2015 8.54am
Just shared it on mine as I live local Andie..Facebook I mean!
Friday 17 April 2015 4.08pm
Thanks Jan, that's a great idea, thank you for doing that on Facebook. Also, I've now put it on Twitter as well as contacted Simon Hughes MP and the Southwark News. I'm hoping the police will release the CCTV footage of the cyclist. If they have it, it's no good keeping it to themselves.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I've heard so many stories of near misses between pedestrians and cyclists now, it's scary. I know that cyclists face a huge amount of danger on the roads too, and I'd never cycle in London because, personally, I think it's too dangerous, but cyclists taking to the pavement isn't the answer either.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: