Winchester House Stoney Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 16 April 2015 11.37am
Hi,
I am researching my Family History and believe the contributors to this site could help me.

My Mum's family were in Southwark/Bermondsey from the early 1800's to the 1990's. She was born in 1924 in a building on the corner of Stoney Street and Winchester Street(Now WALK)called Winchester House(now demolished). It stood next to the pub then called "The Old King's Head" now called "The Rake".( current google street view shows a double stacked portacabin on the site ). Here is how my mum described it:

" ... a (verminous) building(overlooked by the railway) consisting of stables on the ground floor with three levels of tenements above approached by a dark passageway with wooden stairs between the two buildings.Each apartment consisted of two bare rooms. The only facilities consisted of one cold water tap and sink and one wooden toilet on each floor shared by the four families(of that floor). A wash house was provided at the back of the premises."

I am looking for anyone with info relating to this building (memories, photos, press articles, Council meeting transcriptions etc)up to it's demolition in(I believe) the mid 1930's. I already have access to censuses and Electoral rolls so know the names of the occupants over several years. While the LMA and Borough Market trustees have some photos of Stoney Street/Winchester Walk, none show this building.

Look forward to hearing from anyone with something.

Regards

Allen
Thursday 16 April 2015 5.48pm
Go to the John Harvard Library and Archives at the Borough if possible, they have photos of some areas which used to be quite extensive.
Thursday 16 April 2015 5.51pm
British-History online? read on that the Borough Markets had leases?
Friday 17 April 2015 1.41pm
The Charles Booth online archive, might also be worth a look at - http://booth.lse.ac.uk/

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: