Doorstep chugging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 16 April 2015 3.10pm
Has anyone else noticed a sudden rush of doorstep charity collectors in the area? We've had Unicef and the Anthony Nolan Trust knocking on the door in recent days. Much as I think they're fine causes (and have been known to donate, so I'm not just being an old Scrooge) I really resent being pressurised on my doorstep to sign up to donate there and then. Ten times worse than being accosted on the street, which is bad enough. I can't help but feel it's potentially damaging to their cause, too, due to the obvious irritation caused.

A bit of a rant, as I've just had one of these visits now, but I'd be interested what other people's experience has been in the area. And general thoughts, too.
Thursday 16 April 2015 6.44pm
Last month I had young man on my doorstep asking me if I loved animals, at first I thought he had lost a cat and wanted me to keep an eye out in the garden. He then said he was calling from Battersea Dogs home to get people to sign up for paying a donation via direct debit...yep thats the answer knock at the door get peoples bank details,address..and I told him I already donate! When you see street chuggers I am amazed at the way people hand over all their details to a stranger who happens to be wearing a vest with the name of some organisation on it.
Zoe
Thursday 16 April 2015 7.50pm
The person from Battersea was terrified of my dogs, which was rather unfortunate.
Thursday 16 April 2015 8.23pm
Every year the Mayor of Southwark adopts two charities. I won't mention the two charities adopted a year ago but one of them was prolific in Rowland Hill House. We have an entry system and the police confirmed that if someone lets a chugger in, that does not give them the right to knock on all the other doors. We challenged the chuggers from this particular charity who claimed it was allowed AND they had been approved by the Mayor but this is not so. We have a lot of vulnerable people in our block and the neighbour of one was quite concerned to see her neighbour clutching a bank statement to give details. The are always nice people, male and female, but if your block has entry security, it does not give them the right to knock on all doors. I don't know which charities the Mayor has approved this year but if they are an annoyance in your block you can call the neighbourhood police 020 7232 6220 or mobile 07766 443043 ad they can contact the charity and warn them off. Make sure you tell them which charity has been annoying. We have had the Red Cross and RSPCA several times. We have been known to give money to charities but this is on our terms, not because of some persistent door knockers
Friday 17 April 2015 12.12am
It's worse than annoying.
They take advantage of the elderly and vulnerable which is despicable.

I used to spend a lot of time trying to dissuade an elderly and mildly confused neighbour from giving her little pension to rapacious charities who bombarded her with begging letters and I have learned a sad disrespect for the lot of them.

They really should be banned from going door to door like this to protect the vulnerable.

I am happy to give to decent charities of my choosing but I dislike bullies and people who defraud the elderly and poor.
Friday 17 April 2015 9.31am
Not having suffered doorstep chugging it has come as a suprise to me that it exists and that reputable charities use such methods.
It seems to me that such charities have devised a system that professional criminals will take advantage of and follow the tactics of the genuine to gain information and even entrance to vulnerable peoples' homes.
A perfect method for distraction burglaries which the charities involved with the practice are, unwittingly, aiding and abetting such criminal activity.
None of the extremely rich charities need to resort to such methods, especially BDH, and they should stop the method immediately.
Friday 17 April 2015 11.28am
Just did a quick Google search based on the comments here and this came up: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10108289/Doorstep-chugging-complaints-double.html

So it seems there is recourse for anyone who has felt genuinely harassed by these characters - complain to the Fundraising Standards Board.

Worrying, though, that it's third party companies using workers presumably motivated by commission that are doing this work. It figures - the Anthony Nolan rep who knocked on our door objected when I said that I'd look at the charity in greater detail online before deciding whether to donate, saying 'I won't get the credit'.

I just really wonder why charities do this when it's clearly so damaging to their reputation and people's perception of them.
Friday 17 April 2015 11.42am
My elderly Mother in law had a bad experience with one of these door chuggers, she lives alone and any company during the day she will grab, she likes a chat.
So matey thinks he's got a catch with my dear old MIL because he's there talking to her for a good 5 mins, until it came to the details bit and she said she wouldn't be interested as she already gives to charity, he became quite aggressive and she was left shaken.
Obviously Mrs b complained to the charity, I don't think she received any apology.
Should not be legal.
Friday 17 April 2015 1.52pm
Sometime ago I had a text asking for a donation of 10.00..it was from St.Johns Ambulance, as for me I thought a tenner was a lot of money so sent an e-mail to them asking if it was genuine, I was concerned it was a texting scammer, waited ages for response and they said it was from them! normal thing your phonebill gets charged.
Friday 17 April 2015 11.48pm
We've had a spate of them dancing at the door.I have resorted to telling them that I'll call the police as they've gained entry via the main security door.The latest ones from the RSPCA told me that I'm on their list.I've phoned the charities to complain & to take me off their list.They apologised and agreed to not come here again.One lot down,twenty to go then.
Now we have regular Marie Curie chuggers with a stand at Waterloo East station blocking the stream of passengers going towards the main station.Now I always tell all chuggers that I already support them so they can't pester me any more, works a treat.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: