Open Letter To The Person In Boss House Who Threw A Lit Cigarette Butt Into My Daughter's Lap

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 4 May 2015 4.14pm
Hello -

I am writing to the person who through a lit cigarette butt onto my 2 year old daughter recently. I hesitated for some time before posting this; after all, bad things happen to good people all the time.

But this incident happened to a child, and it caused her pain. I want you to know the effects of your careless actions, so that hopefully you won't repeat your action and harm another person - vulnerable or otherwise.

You are someone who was in a flat on the north face (Queen Elizabeth Street) of Boss House at around 8am on Tuesday April 21. You had your window open and pitched a lit cigarette butt out the window.

Perhaps you aimed directly for my infant daughter, who was being pushed in a pram below, or perhaps you just carelessly threw out the butt as a deliberate act of stupidity.

Yes, deliberate stupidity. It was rush hour on a beautiful, bright workday morning. Most of the street was still closed off to construction works related to the building opposite, so this forced all pedestrian and cycle traffic in that stretch of the street to the narrow pavement below your window. The construction had been there for weeks, so you must have been very well aware of the restricted passage below.

Cigarette butts don't sprout wings and fly away on their own. This was thrown. I'm curious - were you hoping to hit someone on the busy pavement, or did you want something more exciting, like an open gas line maybe, in the construction works?

Whatever the intent, the lit butt landed on my daugter's body. It burned through her jacket and shirt. It burned her tender skin. She was screaming, my wife was distraught. It was only thanks to the quick actions of a passerby who saw what happened, and brushed the hot cigarette off my daughter that the burn wasn't worse. We thank God it didn't land in her eye, or set her hair alight.

Where do we go from here? You can hide, of course you can. We don't have CCTV evidence (we've asked for it) and we didn't see your face. By all means you can live in the knowledge for the rest of your life, that you burned a little girl, causing her to fear her pram and have nightmares.

Or, you can come forward to do the honourble thing and apologise.

Up to you.

Monday 4 May 2015 5.25pm
What an awful experience, Chris. I hope baby is okay.
Monday 4 May 2015 6.27pm
Despicable behaviour. There is no excuse for it. All the best to you and your family.
Tuesday 5 May 2015 11.05am
What is wrong with some people, careless idiots with no respect for others whatsoever. Really hope your daughter is ok & your wife, can imagine how scared she was. I really hope you do get an apology as its the very least your family deserve.
Saturday 16 May 2015 9.50pm
I'm really sorry to hear that and hope your baby is ok. I live in The Circle and pass by that passage every morning at around that time. Seriously I don't understand what's wrong with some people.

Precisely the other day I saw a woman in a car speeding like crazy in that same road, I thought it was really dangerous! There are so many things we could improve if we were just considerate to each others...
Sunday 17 May 2015 8.41am
This was particularly awful but you see people everywhere chucking cigarette butts - no regognition at all that they are littering and behaving in a totally anti-social manner.
Sunday 17 May 2015 10.51pm
Another anti social person and habit. Smoking is deadly. Should be totally banned. Unbelievable but trust your child does rise above it all
Poor thing
Tuesday 2 June 2015 10.39am
Hi all -

I've stayed out of this forum for a few weeks as I wanted to clear my head over the matter.

Fortunately our daughter has long forgotten the incident. There's been no attempt at communication from the person who threw the cigarette butt out the window initially. Either s/he hasn't seen this thread, or is cowering in shame!

I also note that this part of the street is once again blocked off - if you're walking along Queen Elizabeth Street by Boss House, be sure to watch for projectiles!

Thanks all for your kind words and thoughts.

Monday 8 June 2015 2.44pm
Maybe the person has not seen this site not everyone uses it but just an idea why don't you print a letter out copy it and put through letter boxes in that particular block.The person may not be aware of their actions.I smoke but would not just flick a butt without looking as to where and maybe if the person is given the chance to apologise you maybe surprised...
Tuesday 9 June 2015 10.01am
Thank you - yes, might be worth exploring that venue (although as a portered building, I doubt I'd be allowed to distribute anything).
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: