Simon Hughes defeat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Friday 8 May 2015 5.02am
I am very sad to see Simon go. He has worked tirelessly for social justice, for the local community and for inidividual constituents. I'm not sure there has ever been a harder working MP.

Related news & features

Friday 8 May 2015 5.35am
Betty I agree. Having met Simon Hughes a number of times I have always found him genuine and fair. As for Neil Coyle, I wouldn't even recognise him!
Friday 8 May 2015 5.36am
after 32 years, good riddance!
Friday 8 May 2015 6.28am
Why good riddance? In what way will this make life better for you? Or is your comment entirely fatuous? I'll help you out- it's entirely fatuous.
Friday 8 May 2015 6.50am
Good riddance is to my mind fair comment on someone who could have been the conscience of the coalition - but instead nodded through the bedroom tax yet couldn't bring himself to back equal marriage.

And hey, Hughes' little Justice job then brought a tidy boost to the old parliamentary pension. Time was up. Bye Si.
Friday 8 May 2015 6.55am
jamh2000 wrote:
Why good riddance? In what way will this make life better for you? Or is your comment entirely fatuous? I'll help you out- it's entirely fatuous.

Jam - this is a forum and Kell is entitled to an opinion just like you so - let me help you out - good riddance to Hughes.
Friday 8 May 2015 7.21am
simon hughes has done nothing for bermondsey for 32 years apart from getting himself in pictures at the opening of an envelope.
for the first 27 years he had no chance of being in government and so we got zilch, nada, zip.
for the last five years in government, he lied about tuition fees, failed to get bermondsey moved to zone 1, failed to reopen guy's a&e, imposed the bedroom tax, failed to stop the attacks on the vunerable and as a minister presided over grossly unfair cuts to legal aid etc. i could go on and on ... one example, he and his councillors lambasted labour 2 years ago about school meals then voted for them!
hypocrite and liar come to mind but then i'm too much of a gentleman to say ...
Friday 8 May 2015 7.46am
... and on the few occasions I've met Simon Hughes he was swanning about like the lord of the bleedin' manor. New chap seems pleasant, and gracious in victory.
Friday 8 May 2015 7.52am
Glad he's gone. Lib Dems vote for Tory policy in a left wing constituency, only one outcome really on the cards.
Zoe
Friday 8 May 2015 8.36am
I have spent the last 16 years voting Labour and it's about bloody time we got a Labour MP, but I could see that Simon Hughes was a good MP and people are being really unfair on him. I have been disgusted by the coalition, but that doesn't detract from his work as an MP and what he has done for people. Every time I work at an election people come in and tell me tales of how he personally helped them. Yes I disagree with his politics and I'm sickened by his time in government, but that doesn't mean I can't respect the other work he has done.

I have many times seen him park up and droves of people go to talk to him. That's a hard act to follow and Neil Coyle has some big shoes to fill. I personally hope he tries to be like Simon Hughes and gets out and about and really tries to connect to people. But maybe on a bike rather than in a taxi.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: