Caphe House closing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 15 May 2015 12.00am
Just seen that it's closed and has notice that it will be moving (As Caphe Pho") to EC1. I'm very surprised since it always seemed so popular (I went there quite a few times). Why would they close like that ?! Was it because the landlord demanded too much in rent increase ??
Friday 15 May 2015 8.20am
I chatted to them a few weeks ago about this. Their rent was going up a lot so they decided to move to bigger premises. Means they can expand their business - more dining basically.
Friday 15 May 2015 8.46am
sadly i think Acorn are planning to expand into urgh they'll have the whole front facing the park dedicated to selling flats.

If they are reading this please don't - rent it out to somebody else more interesting please ;-)
Friday 15 May 2015 9.50am
To me that is the worst thing that can happen to a now-trendy street, kill the goose that lays the golden egg. A lovely, popular cafe is forced to move because of rent increases and an estate agent expands - it would be funny if it weren't so shocking.
Friday 15 May 2015 11.46am
Money grabbing landlord cashing in. Shame on him/her.
Saturday 16 May 2015 10.37am
Oh, how I loathe the word 'trendy'! Nevertheless, it is a great shame, even though I only use it for an occasional coffee. The thought of a larger Estate Agent makes me squirm.
Saturday 16 May 2015 10.46am
Very sad indeed. With Caphe House closing, Farina on ice indefinitely, Franco Manca forever delayed and Ticino taking a turn for the worse, Bermondsey street isn't looking great.

Is it an A3 site? If so would be a shame if it turned into an estate agents.
Saturday 16 May 2015 8.43pm
I noticed today that Cave, the flower and wine shop, has also shut its doors. This seems to be a sad and discouraging trend.
Sunday 17 May 2015 12.38am
The barber next door is also being pressured by a new landlord wanting to increase the rent. Apparently the landlord acquired the freehold when he bought the flat above in a bidding war at the market peak in 2014. Classic ! Overpay for a flat then make the poor business downstairs suffer for it.

This is how a "quirky, independent" street dies. A victim of its own "success".
Monday 18 May 2015 9.53am
Can't we do anything about it? I know the landlords can do whatever they want with their properties and rent but aren't there any restrictions about how many estate agents you can have on a street vs restaurants and shops? It's crazy if you think of how many successful restaurants are closing down lately!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: