Roxy Bar and Screen gorilla bouncer

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 27 May 2015 11.28pm
Does anyone know who owns the Roxy these days? Went in there last night after the longest time - now they've lost their bar licence they're showing decent films again (I stopped going there when it was wall to wall football). On arriving at 7.45 to meet a friend on a quiet Tuesday evening I was accosted by a bizarely over zealous bouncer demanding to know why I was there - had i booked?, was I going to order a meal? had I paid? What event was i turning up for?

I explained that I was coming to watch a film - he wasn't satisfied with this and blocked my way in, I explained that I'd been coming here for years and I would pay for the film at the bar. When I finally went in he followed me and insisted I pay immediately whilst I tried to scan the seated crowd for my friend. Unpleasant and threatening. He started on my friend too when she arrived and I had to go and rescue her. Spent the entire film feeling angry.

I'm a 5ft tall woman in my late 40's - my friend is a small 51 year old woman. We were dressed respectably, we hadn't been drinking, we look completely unthreatening - his behaviour was absurd, unsettling and completely unwarranted. Frankly I never want to set foot in there again. I really don't understand his behaviour - nothing I said appeared to placate him. Why would anywhere employ someone like this?

As you can tell. Still very annoyed by this...
Thursday 28 May 2015 9.18am
This story begs the question 'did you ask to speak to the manager to make an immediate complaint?, if not why not?'. Depending on the response, a chat with 'the management' could have diffused your anger and rescued some of your evening, even if you had decided to go elsewhere.
Sunday 31 May 2015 12.52am
Two perfectly pleasant but extremely overwhelmed staff running the place, seemed a bit pointless - was really difficult to get served or even pay for the film they were so understaffed and place filled with people confused about whether they could order a drink or not or querying their food orders. I was also rather upset and feeling bullied by the whole incident - This completely unnecessary confrontation had already ruined my evening. I am not responsible for the behaviour of a bullying thuggish doorman!
Sunday 31 May 2015 2.09am
janefs wrote:
This story begs the question 'did you ask to speak to the manager to make an immediate complaint?, if not why not?'. Depending on the response, a chat with 'the management' could have diffused your anger and rescued some of your evening, even if you had decided to go elsewhere.

I don't get this kind of comment - sometimes I share something that's upset/frustrated/angered me just to get it out of my system, to vent my spleen, to exorcise a bad experience by having a good old moan about it, so I can then move on or decide with a clearer mind what I want to do about whatever upset me. To be told "Did you do this, and if not, why not?" sounds a bit like being told to shut up. Can't speak for Lila of course, but personally, just by posting this I feel less irritated already.
Sunday 31 May 2015 10.16am
I walked past there Friday on my way home from the gym, I saw the "doorman", he was kind of slumped/leaning in the doorway, what struck me was the possibility that the doorman was the manager, he looked most unprofessional and the way he was lazing in the doorway was with full confidence, it wasn't a good look.

Having looked the place up on trip advisor, it would seem he has previous.
Sunday 31 May 2015 10.27am
EW I agree with your comments, I often do the same, vent my spleen etc.
I honestly thought janefs' post was from the PR of "the management" which intended to remain unapologetic about the boorish behaviour of its bouncer and shift the blame to the innocent victim. As LilaSE1 has said she is not responsible for such loutish behaviour by the staff.

The only question that is begging to be asked is "What good reason does the Roxy have for employing such people?"
Sunday 31 May 2015 5.48pm
It might be due to terms of their license- they had loads of aggro not so long ago.
Sunday 31 May 2015 6.22pm
NickTheGreek wrote:
It might be due to terms of their license- they had loads of aggro not so long ago.

No doubt caused by these thugs.
Sunday 31 May 2015 9.00pm
Hi LilaSE1,

Don't bother complaining to the management.

In the UK bouncers (or "door supervisors" as they are officially referred to) obtain their licence from the Security Industry Authority who may revoke their authorization if they are found to not adhere to the code of conduct.

I suggest you make a complaint to them, and be sure to include the date and time, as well as letting them know you have a witness (you friend who was followed by the bouncer) who is willing to corroborate your account.

Don't get mad: get even...
Monday 1 June 2015 9.45am
Edward :)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: