Tesco The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 2 June 2015 7.20pm
So- Tesco The Cut London SE1. After purchasing my shopping this evening I vacated the store to go home. On leaving the store the alarms sounded and as the security guard shouted me- I of course returned to the store door thinking a alarm tag (maybe on wine I had bought) had not been removed. The security guard asked me if I had bought ‘meat’ I said NO- some fish. ( He kept repeating where’s the meat you took?) He then asked for my receipt- which I could not find at first as I did not realise the till lady had put it on the bag. On finding it – and the fish in my bag ( that had an alarm tag on it) I showed it to the security guard and the fish – saying this is what may have set your alarm off. He then said you have not paid for the wine (Hardys Crest) or the meat ( No meat was bought) I explained I had no meat and the top item on the receipt- the Hardys was the wine. He said that was not the wine! And I had not paid for the wine. I then asked to see the manager.

I got to speak to the manager and explained what happened and how un – happy i was. I asked for the security guards name – she did not know it? She went and asked him – I asked for his ID number – she did not know it – I asked her to get it off his badge. She was very apologetic but don’t think she had a clue about how serious accusing a customer like this, when I had a receipt - for my items was.
Goodness only knows what the meat accusation was?

So now writing to Tesco while having the wine - without the meat. You don't need it do you.....
Tuesday 2 June 2015 7.36pm
How awful, not to mention embarrassing. You really don't need it. Some diplomacy and tact was clearly called for on the part of the security guard. I'd say Tesco owes you some vouchers. I'd be spitting feathers!

The security guard should have been wearing a blue SIA badge from which his registration number would have been evident.

Not that it helps, but the security staff in the Tesco Express on TBR are all singularly exceptional and more like an extension of the store staff, perhaps even more helpful. Same up at the Metro on Tooley Street and, thinking about it, the Metro on Jamaica Road. No, I don't work for Tesco!
Tuesday 2 June 2015 7.42pm
I am spitting - and agree mostly the security are great and super friendly . He was wearing a badge and I made the manager go and get his number. Thanks Gavin
Tuesday 2 June 2015 9.08pm
If you are ever challenged by a store security guard, refuse to be searched.

Ask them instead if they have seen you taking any goods and leaving the premises without having paid for them.

If the tell you they have not, say goodbye continue making your way out.

If they tell you that they did, inform them that you paid for all the goods, but that they are welcome to call the police as you will remain in store waiting for them.

If the guard is 'really sure' they witnessed you shoplifting, they should not have a problem with this.

Speculative singling people out is no way for security guards to conduct themselves.
Tuesday 2 June 2015 10.10pm
Thanks Jules - of course I thought of some of these things in retrospect. I guess as the alarm went off- as I exited - I did not have a problem checking in with me it was just his attitude after and in particular the 'meat' thing.
Recently in Manchester same thing - a small bar code on make up purchased in a big dep. store was setting off the alarm - experience could not have been more different - SG identified what was setting alarm off - was cordial and apologetic. Ah- Gavin right though - they are usually Ok. So an exception.
Tuesday 2 June 2015 10.19pm
Unfortunately that Tesco has gone down very rapidly in recent times. Really looks like they are not capable of looking after their stores for more than a year when they open?

One day somebody spilled beer on the floor near the checkouts, and the staff asked us to go the other way out, through the aisles. Once outside I was also accosted by the security guard asking if I had paid for the shopping and why I came out the "wrong way". Nothing more of that, and he eventually apologised.

But the alarms go off for me all the time, don't even bother stopping now as usually there is not anyone from the staff who would bat an eyelid so why should I care. Aren't the till operators meant to deactivate the alarms anyway?

Also they now close even earlier, 11pm, which means they close the manned checkouts also earlier. Looks like they did not even have a license to stay open until 12, but have now applied for one. And I have still not forgiven them replacing out 24h Costcutters with this (yes, I know I like to shop at strange hours sometimes).

So as Sainsbury's has kindly been sending me loads of discount vouchers (at least they seem to notice, if their customers abandon them, and care about it) I am not bothering to spend my money in this Tesco's at least.

No wonder Tesco is in turmoils. and I do hope some in their higher management reads this forum. Just not sure if they even care? Or can do anything about things?
Zoe
Wednesday 3 June 2015 5.08pm
Couple of days before your experience the alarm went off as I was leaving. I just left as I presumed it wasn't for me, but it sounds like it's a fault. Glad I wasn't accused of stealing meat!
Wednesday 3 June 2015 9.47pm
Thanks Zoe and Nelson. Zoe it was an alarm thing on the fish but security was obsessed with meat....
You were a lot more sensible than me... keep walking
Thursday 4 June 2015 10.44am
Update, phone call by sympathetic man from Tesco CEO office....investigating...he will be back soon.
Friday 5 June 2015 3.16pm
I agree with Nelson. I was in there the other night and the place was a tip. There was packaging all over the floor - left by the shelf fillers, some of which was plastic and therefore dangerous. There was also dirty marks all over the floor where someone had obviously spilled food or drink. The shop appeared to be manned by one security guy on the self-service tills and one guy trying to keep the place running. No operated till appeared to be open, which beggars the question, who checks the age of people buying alcohol and will this be addressed if they get their license extended 'til midnight.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: