Digging out Basements in Ufford St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Tuesday 2 June 2015 9.42pm
Cannot understand why a family who require a 3 bedroom town house with a studio go and buy a 2 bed 1901 Period Cottage in Ufford Street.They then announce they will convert loft to a bedroom , although Lambeth Council planning state loft for storage only.They then announce that they will put in an application to dig out the basement quoting Roupell Street as an example, how ever Roupell Street already had basements and they have just been extended. Ufford Street was the site of the first Botanical Gardens and the Cottages were built on Marsh Land.There is also a level 3 flood risk. [Sentence here removed in response to complaint - JH]. Octavia Hill Residents Association will oppose any formal planning application with all means at our disposal- WE SAY NO BASEMENT DIG OUT IN UFFORD STREET
Thursday 4 June 2015 9.23am
I'm willing to believe a basement on Ufford St can be designed to be sympathetic and attractive. Whether the application at hand is those things is up to planners to decide. If it's a poor design or deemed out of keeping then the application will be refused. I don't object to the principle of basements on Ufford St.
Friday 5 June 2015 8.35am
I cannot understand why anybody would want to buy a small-two bedroom- terrace house and then attempt to alter it so radically unless Lambeth Council or somebody in the planning office has/had already given the nod and the wink to the success of the future planning application.
Not being an architect or builder or designer I do not know how one shores up a terraced house and protects the next door property completely. I cannot believe that it will not have a detrimental effect upon the neighbour's property.
I note, Gibbo, that this is your first post on the forum are you seeking to excavate under a property and build a sympathetic and an attractive basement?
Friday 5 June 2015 9.27am
I'm with OHRA and TBH on this one. If you want a three-bed townhouse then go and buy one. Not living anywhere near Ufford Street, I don't have locus to object but I'd urge all of those living nearby to object in the strongest terms.
Friday 5 June 2015 9.38am
I would object to if I lived local. You can obviously afford to dig out the basement and put in a conversion in the loft. If want a bigger property go buy one, not ruin the view of the area.
Zoe
Friday 5 June 2015 5.27pm
I can imagine that digging out a basement is going to be really disturbing to the neighbours. I often see people saying, oh well, it's only for a while, but anyone who has lived next to a building site for two years will know how horrendous it is and how much it interferes with your daily life.
Friday 5 June 2015 7.57pm
It does get worse and we are extremely worried.
On the 20th May we were told by new owners that a test soil drilling had been done and they were waiting the results, we now know that no such test drilling has been done.
Yesterday a man came and made 3 test drillings in the back garden.
A next door neighbour asked the person doing drilling for the name of his company , address and telephone number and guess what (1) The company does not exist (2)The address does not exist (3) The post code does not exist and yes a full house (4) The phone number does not exist
Saturday 6 June 2015 7.15am
Ufford Street is a lovely piece of heritage, I can't imagine the disruption this would bring. If anyone saw the program about basement building in Kensington then it basically was a one hour program about people having to put up with years of building / constant trucks in the road blocking them / and when it goes wrong, your side of the house has to be propped up. Then the people who own it are abroad and everything goes through solicitors. Not the place to do it.

The houses are too small and intimate to afford this type of intrusive work.
Saturday 6 June 2015 9.19am
The planning system conceived fifty years ago, and modified mostly following lobbying from the construction industry appears to be showing its irrelevance to our lives again.
Saturday 6 June 2015 9.27am
Pops wrote:
If want a bigger property go buy one, not ruin the view of the area.

On Roupell Street, you can't tell the difference between the ones with the new basement floor and the ones without, so it doesn't change the view of the area.

I go down Roupell Street twice a day and I've seen the work being done. I don't know how long the whole process takes but the noisy digging took less than a week.

Do people think that the house on Ufford Street that already has a converted loft with skylights is ruining the area?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: