Community Meeting with the Coronet

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 3 June 2015 1.04pm
Those of you living in the Rockingham Estate/Albert Barnes/Smeaton Court/Bath Terrace vicinity and/or disturbed by our local clubs, please come to the meeting Wednesday June 17th 6.30pm Rockingham Community Centre and have your say. The Coronet, after repeated requests are finally going to send a representative and if their emails are anything to go by, they are on the defensive.
Wednesday 3 June 2015 5.31pm
Hi, we will be meeting with you on the 17th June and are looking forward to having some face to face contact with you all.

Cllr Karl Eastham has kindly forwarded some correspondence between Coronet, Southwark Council, Southwark Police and Licensing as well as councillors. If there is anybody who has been missed or may not be on Cllr Eastham's mailing list, please contact us direct on 02077011500 or by email to and we will get a copy of the information to you prior to the meeting.

We are also happy to meet any residents prior to the June 17th meeting should anybody wish too.

Please be reassured that we have been working closely with the police and council for the past 12 months and are as keen as you are to see action taken in your area. Hopefully the information we are able to share will show that.
Wednesday 3 June 2015 5.37pm
Apologies! Email address should read
Thursday 4 June 2015 6.25pm
Hi all,

Just to update you, there is a meeting with the Coronet and officers from the council on 17th June in the Rockingham Community Centre - it would be good to get as many residents there as possible.

On the alley way between New Kent Road and Rockingham Street (Arch Street), I have requested a meeting with L&Q, and will see what can be done to make that area less conducive to anti-social behaviour. There may be something to be done with Cleaner Greener Safer money etc - it is on our radar, and we are investigating different possibilities.

Thank you all for your patience, and please do feed back any comments or ideas to

Karl Eastham
Chaucer Councillor
Monday 8 June 2015 1.10pm
I live just down the road from Albert Barnes though cannot make the meeting.

I've not experienced any unacceptable antisocial behaviour from the club patrons and most of the events are well run with well-managed queueing.

Perhaps events without such defined end times could be prioritised (ie club nights where people gradually leave, rather than concerts where they all leave at once) to limit traffic impacts.

Arch Street is a badly planned space. The development was approved by the planning committee a few years ago despite the opposition of local residents such as myself who objected to shoehorning 50-odd flats onto a basketball court. The landscaping hasn't been well maintained and since it has no arches opening onto it was always going to be dark and unwelcoming. The developer ought to be looking after it.

The Coronet is an important part of E&C's heritage and future. It's not easy to keep a large and old building running and these events will be vital to its staying here.

I for one would not like to see it curtailed or subject to unviable operating conditions and fully support its current operation.
Monday 20 July 2015 6.16pm
Dear all,

Following our meeting last month, it was agreed that Cllrs would meet regularly with residents to discuss issues regarding anti-social behaviour in the Elephant and Castle area.

It was felt that this would be a more efficient way forward, rather than meeting with every venue and every officer involved. This way, we will be aware of issues, and able to co-ordinate a response as issues arise.

If there have been issues recently, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be meeting again on Monday 27th July at 6pm at the Coronet, Elephant and Castle.

Best wishes

Karl, Helen and Vijay.
Thursday 30 July 2015 11.26pm
Is there a way of sharing notes/summary of this meeting? I tried to attend but arrived late and no way into coronet. Would be good to find out what was discussed and next meeting date.

Friday 6 November 2015 7.54am
Friday 6 November 2015 9.51am
As reported on this website the day before the article you linked...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: