Victorian Tin Factory on Tanner Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 7 June 2015 9.42pm
Dear all,

I am absolutely horrified to hear the Victorian Tin Factory on Tanner Street is going to be knocked down to make space for new flats. What on earth is going on? Surely it would be possible to blend the new and old and for example incorporate the old building into the new? It has been done so sucessfully all over Bermondsey before so I am quite astonished to hear about this complete lack of imagination.

There is also an old and in my view beautiful building on Tooley Street meeting the same destiny.

Can we stop this happening? I don't know but I would like to organise a peaceful demonstration and wonder if you want to take part?

Please email me with your name if you would like to take part and also if you would like to help me out. I think we'll need some banners...

bermondseytinfactory@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Kristina
Monday 8 June 2015 10.40pm
Hi Kristina,

The "Most Endangered Buildings" campaign by The Victorian Society might be of interest to you and others worried about threats to historic buildings in the area. By nominating the Tin Factory it would draw attention to it, even if it is not considered an important enough building to reach the top 10 most endangered buildings. It could help get publicity if you stage a demonstration.
Here's an extract from an email a friend forwarded me recently:
Christopher Costelloe, Director of the Victorian Society, said: ĎAll over London fine examples of Victorian and Edwardian architecture face neglect, demolition or unsympethic re-development. We want the public to be our eyes and ears and nominate the Victorian and Edwardian buildings we are most at risk of losing. Whether itís a school building, an empty pub, a redundant chapel or a neglected but impressive feat of engineering, make sure you tell us about it so we can try to save them.í

To nominate a building contact the Victorian Society via email (media@victoriansociety.org.uk), tweet (@thevicsoc), Facebook (facebook.com/thevicsoc) or post (1 Priory Gardens, London W4 1TT) with brief details of the building(s) on or before Monday 1 July 2015.
Monday 8 June 2015 10.50pm
Thank you so much Sarah!

Kristina x
Monday 8 June 2015 10.56pm
Let's get organised and let our voices be heard!

You are all invited to a protest meeting to try to save the Victorian Tin Box Factory on Tanner Street.

The meeting will be held in (the beautifully restored) The Grange Pub on Grange Road this Thursday 11 June at 8:30pm.

Welcome.

Kristina x
Wednesday 17 June 2015 9.15pm
Dear all,

I have been told it's utterly pointless to petition Southwark Council but have to try anyway!

Do you feel angry and disappointed with Southwark Council as they keep demolishing one old building after the other?

Please sign my petition (and share it on Facebook and Twitter) to save the Wyatt & Co Tin Box Factory on Tanner Street:

Petition

In the petition, I am also calling for Southwark Council to change their criteria for demolishing Edwardian and Victorian Buildings.

Thank you.

Kristina
Wednesday 17 June 2015 9.26pm
I have signed your petition, Kristina. It is high time the council changed its criteria for demolishing buildings of local importance/interest.
Thursday 18 June 2015 4.41am
Hi Kristina

I signed your petition too - thanks for setting it up.
Glad you did despite being told it's pointless. If everybody believed that there would never been any change or discussion xxx
Wednesday 24 June 2015 9.53pm
Dear all,

Thank you Gavin and Lucy for signing the petition.

493 people have now signed the petition online and when I spent just one hour at Maltby Street Market last Saturday with two fellow protesters, we managed to get 140 signatures!!! That makes it nearly 700 signatures. Unfortunately, I could only do one hour as I was working the whole weekend.

Imagine if all of us could spend 1 hour or 30 minutes petitioning on Saturday and/or Sunday!

The Farmer's Market on Bermondsey Square, The Blue and Maltby Street Market (MSM is also open on Sunday) are obvious places with a lot of people.

Are you in?

If so, drop me a line info@bermondseyvoices.co.uk and I will send you the petition to print out.

We need to act NOW guys or it will be too late!

Thank you.

Kristina
Thursday 25 June 2015 6.03pm
And yet another building where the council has accepted an 'in lieu' payment for affordable housing. I signed the petition, although it is quite clear it is too late for this building. I think we all need to be more vigilant in the future and look at the planning pages regularly.
Thursday 25 June 2015 6.27pm
Karen I wrote:
And yet another building where the council has accepted an 'in lieu' payment for affordable housing.

The council has an appalling track record for doing away with the affordable provision and taking "in lieu" payments, thereby creating whole areas within the borough where there is no social housing. It's all well and good saying "We'll use the money to build a load of houses in Peckham", or wherever, but that doesn't assist families who have roots in the area.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network