Useless new MP

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 12 June 2015 8.41am
I had cause to call on our new MP to assist with a confidential matter relating to my 11-year-old son. It would have entailed a letter of less than a paragraph from him.

I sent an e-mail request to him on 12 May. Admittedly that was quite soon after his election and so I was not unduly concerned when I didn't hear back. I politely forwarded it a week later on 19 May. Still nothing heard. I then forwarded it again on 1 June and still nothing heard.

The matter we needed assistance with has now passed. It was not a trivial or minor matter. It is something that affects my son's future. Coyle was well aware of it because I sent it not only to his parliamentary e-mail address but to his other e-mail addresses. It is one of the few cases where intervention from the MP would have made the difference. Yes, I have expressed support for the local Lib Dems quite vocally, but this was nothing to do with me; it was to do with an 11-year-old boy. The fact that Coyle wilfully chose not to respond speaks volumes. As it is, I fear (I hope wrongly, as we are yet to hear the outcome) that the matter will go against my son.

A few choice adjectives spring to mind, but most are not suitable for a family-friendly forum such as this. The one adjective that is: useless.
Friday 12 June 2015 9.17am
Perhaps Neil Coyle is too busy as a councillor helping flog off the Aylesbury to attend to his Parliamentary constituents urgent requests for help. Perhaps he is finding that trying to do two jobs at once is more than he can manage or cope with
The fact that you were a supporter of Simon Hughes, because of the way he helped his constituents, surely has nothing to do with the lack of help from your new MP who may have chosen not to do those things that Simon Hughes did so well but rather do the opposite and thus be his "own man" to become the new broom that doesn't sweep clean.
I am sure the local Labour party are practising the old adage (which I think I have just made up) that the baby nearest the breast gets fed first and you should follow the one that says the baby that screams loudest gets the milk.
I do hope the lack of any response from Neil Coyle MP or his office does not have the detrimental effect or outcome that you fear.
I wish you and your son all the best and that you resolve this matter very very soon.
Friday 12 June 2015 9.27am
To be fair, it's still early days.
I saw an ad for a caseworker, so maybe, once they've got things up and running it will all be OK.
Friday 12 June 2015 10.06am
Maybe it was not something the MP could help you with; not that this is any excuse for not replying though. Your son is 11, could this be to do with his choice of secondary school; just a guess on my part? MPs and Cllrs are inundated with calls and letters at this time of year when the school lists go out because there always seems to be some odd/unfair allocations. As an ex-teacher, I have witnessed the distress first-hand and rarely have problems been resolved. If my guess is way off the mark, please accept my apologies. However, back to the purpose of your post; I don't think our MP should continue doing the two jobs, clearly he cannot keep up with the work-load.
Friday 12 June 2015 10.40am
Thank you for your good wishes everyone. Karen, it is education related, but I don't think it's wise to say any more. Your hypothesis is a little wide of the mark, but no apology necessary. What I will say is that Anood Al-Samerai, inundated with work though she is, responded within an hour and provided some very sage advice and input into the process even though I don't live in her ward and this is work for the MP. I agree whole-heartedly that he should take off his Cllr hat.

Graham, it is early days, but it hasn't stopped Coyle remarking on Twitter that he has been dealing with casework and holding surgeries, the details of which are known by no one. As such, I can only surmise that it s a deliberate act.
Friday 12 June 2015 3.11pm
Neil told us last week at the CLP meeting that he had only just that day been allocated an office at Westminster. Give the guy a break.....
Friday 12 June 2015 4.26pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
As such, I can only surmise that it s a deliberate act.

Or, you can give him the benefit of the doubt, or indeed a break.
Friday 12 June 2015 8.35pm
Brendan, he had a temporary office in Parliament within days of election. See his Twitter feed for a photo. As for a break/benefit of the doubt,, I was rather hoping he would give an 11-year-old boy just that. I speak as I find and, as I say, the man is useless.
Saturday 13 June 2015 2.04am
Gavin Smith wrote:
Brendan, he had a temporary office in Parliament within days of election. See his Twitter feed for a photo. As for a break/benefit of the doubt,, I was rather hoping he would give an 11-year-old boy just that. I speak as I find and, as I say, the man is useless.

Guess I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt and take your word for the veracity of your story.
Saturday 13 June 2015 7.46am
No one is asking you to. S'up to you
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: