NIKE sound system blasting on Tanner Street Tennis Courts for 10 days.. COMING SOON!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 16 June 2015 5.36pm
Hey

I am somewhat an effected party here but just thought i would raise awareness of the fact that NIKE are taking over the Tanner Street tennis courts for some promotional gubbins for a few weeks. So no tennis for everyone for a while unless you are chums with Nike PR bods.

HOWEVER although local residents were sent letters saying 'a sound system is scheduled to be used only on the 1st, 8th and 12th July' it turns out they are planning on using it pretty much EVERY DAY for almost two weeks pumping out NIKE approved sounds - sometimes starting at 9am, sometimes ending at 9pm. Which also will ricochet like crazy around all the buildings.

Don't mind a day or so of it, but almost 10??

Details below. If you think this is possibly a bit OTT feel free to let southwark know now...

Anne.whyte@southwark.gov.uk
events@southwark.gov.uk

..the above are 'dealing' with it..

FROM SOUTHWARK...

Noise levels
A public address system will be used for part of the programme to play background music only and will be in use on the following dates;

Thursday 25th June 2015 15:00 18:30
Friday 26th June 2015 14:00 17:00
Saturday 27th June 2015 No Music
Sunday 28th June 2015 12:00 17:00
Monday 29th June 2015 09:00 17:00
Tuesday 30th June 2015 12:30 -16:00
Wednesday 1st July 2015 13:30 17:30
Thursday 2nd July 2015 19:00 21:00
Friday 3rd July 2015 13:00 17:00
Saturday 4th July 2015 15:00 20:30

Noise levels will be monitored throughout the event but if you have any noise concerns please contact Southwark Council Noise Team on 020 7525 5777.
Work has begun on the redevelopment of the courts and the preparation for the events will continue from Monday June 22nd.
Wednesday 17 June 2015 10.11pm
I also overlook the tennis courts but am not too concerned about the event itself, it will only last a few days and looks like it will be fun.

However, I am very concerned about the redevelopment of the tennis courts. The courts were originally painted green and brown and blended in nicely with the park, at least giving the illusion that they were a continuation of the surrounding grass. On Monday the whole area was painted jet black (making sure we know this is a large expanse of Tarmac!) and the courts are being painted in bright fluorescent pink and blue. The blocks of colour are random shapes and so they don't even look like traditional tennis courts now!

Today they have spray painted #Nikecourt in large letters into the courts accompanied by the Nike Swoosh logo.

The whole scheme is extremely garish and completely inappropriate for what is meant to be a green oasis in the conservation area. I can appreciate the Council want to seek sponsorship to help with the up- keep but the edgy urban design is misplaced in the park. I also think it is unacceptable for Nike's logo to be permanently sprayed into the courts.

Two years ago the council landscaped the area behind the tennis courts, there was a long consultation process and residents were given the opportunity to comment and input on the different designs. In this case the residents were given no designs and sent a short letter a couple of days before the work started. It is not acceptable for such a radical change to be implemented with out proper consultation. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of bright fluorescent pink or blue, but will get to see it from every room in my house!
Thursday 18 June 2015 9.27am
Scott77 wrote:
I also think it is unacceptable for Nike's logo to be permanently sprayed into the courts.

Did the letter say that the logo and paint-job would be permanent?
Thursday 18 June 2015 11.27am
I just saw the Court as I walked my canine ward - relieved that no-one was playing, as I can't throw the balls back for toffee :p

It states on the signage that the court will be returned to it's original state, when the event is over, mid-July, I believe.
Thursday 18 June 2015 1.22pm
If the sound system is too much i am going to wire up my guitar amp to play the words "BUY ADIDAS TRAINERS" on loop out of my window..

I actually like the paint job! But yes think it is temporary..
Thursday 18 June 2015 2.59pm
therunningman wrote:
If the sound system is too much i am going to wire up my guitar amp to play the words "BUY ADIDAS TRAINERS" on loop out of my window..

Or, you could blast this and this out...
Friday 19 June 2015 7.00am
as we have discovered at potters field, give them an inch ... and they take the whole m25! look forward to endless drivel spouted on the tannoy, lorrys at all hours despite the agreed hour (subcontractors can't read), endless shouting and the noise team, who are only part time anyway, cannot assist ...
Tee
Saturday 20 June 2015 2.20pm
Yes, seen this and already complained to them. The Wimbledon screenings have apparently been cancelled, thank god. If you feel the noise is inappropriate, I urge you to contact Southwark Council Noise Team on 020 7525 5777, or just go and pull the plug on the PA.

They say "A public address system will be used for part of the programme to play background music only". It remains to be seen what defines background.

Personally, i see this as a horrible corporate takeover, with no local consultation. Those letters weren't even from the council. Despite being titled 'consultation', they were really a letter of intent, explaining what was going to happen.

Hopefully nobody goes to this and it ends early. I felt sorry for the Saturday kids who couldn't get on the courts for their regular exercise/fun.

Oh and the court colours looks garish. From certain angles, the nike logo into squares looks like a swastika, which sounds about right.

Fault!
Tee
Saturday 20 June 2015 2.34pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
therunningman wrote:

Or, you could blast this and this out...

I have this cued up.
Sunday 21 June 2015 10.08am
So what is the event? I couldn't find anything online about it or any notice that the courts were closed. Seems a bit rich to close tennis courts during Wimbledon, but then Tee mentions screenings have been cancelled, so what's the point of it?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: