Road works and closures in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 18 June 2015 12.03am
The new Cycle Superhighway (north-south), Elephant & Castle roundabout removal, Tower Bridge Road revamp - and, outside the postcode but affecting traffic inside it - the works at Aldgate; all conspire to make getting around hellish at the moment.

I'm sure it's all for the good, ultimately, but why must TfL allow all these works to go on at the same time?

Meanwhile, here on Leroy Street, I'm hoping no one needs an emergency vehicle tonight, because the entire street is completely blocked off at both ends; directly, at Tower Bridge Road, where resurfacing is taking place as I type, and indirectly due to the closure of Old Kent Road southbound at Bricklayers Arms. This is for works that TfL promised residents would take place Thursday to Sunday nights only. It's Wednesday night.
Zoe
Thursday 18 June 2015 8.08am
I was somewhat amused to see people in Wales up in arms about road closures for twelve hours for a bike ride. If only we were so blessed to suffer just twelve hours! I think the most surprising thing is how willing councils are to allow developers to close whole roads for years at a time.

I totally get your comments about being cut off, we have had circumstances where there were roads I couldn't get to, as other road closures impacted them.

When I moved to London (long, long ago!) I recall that one of the roads on Southwark Street was closed, for months and months and I thought 'look at that, they must be doing something amazing on that road to close it like that". I was quite surprised when it opened and it didn't seem particularly amazing and I kept wondering why it had been closed. This is because outside of London they don't do stuff like this and closing a road for a long period was a major thing.
Thursday 18 June 2015 10.36am
On the other side of SE1, Cole St, Gt Suffolk St, Borough Road, Webber Street and its side roads, The Cut (now open), etc etc.

It's increased my knowledge of cut-throughs no end. Almost every day brings a new road closure, and a new route to work.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 18 June 2015 10.56am
it is taking me nearly 2 hours to cover a 45 minute journey home why on earth could the work not be staggered not to mention the polution from all the cars stuck in jams

What really got me about an hour ago I went along St Georges Road which is down to one lane and there was no one working on it if your going to close the road get on and do the work not just leave it closed causing chaos
Thursday 18 June 2015 11.04am
dee dee wrote:
it is taking me nearly 2 hours to cover a 45 minute journey home why on earth could the work not be staggered not to mention the polution from all the cars stuck in jams
What really got me about an hour ago I went along St Georges Road which is down to one lane and there was no one working on it if your going to close the road get on and do the work not just leave it closed causing chaos

What I wonder is, especially RE: Blackfriars rd, will the congestion get any better, is this how it will be? The traffic in Blackfriars rd is down to one lane, it's going to stay that way isn't it?
Thursday 18 June 2015 8.37pm
Over the past thee weeks or so as I walk through The Cut most of the time the traffic has been at a standstill. I have counted over 24 black taxis all pumping out their poisonous diesel fumes whilst at a standstill. And then there are the white vans and other delivery vans all pumping out the same fumes.
I expect this to be the common and regular occurrence when the N/S cycle route on Blackfriars Road cycle route is completed because it appears that the left turn out of The Cut into Blackfriars Road will continue to be as slow as it is now.
So because of a lack of planning foresight thousands of pedestrians' long term health is being put at risk and they will probably contract COPD as I have and will recognise how disabling traffic jams are because of all the poisonous fumes from the commercial vehicles which commonly use diesel.
Thursday 18 June 2015 10.53pm
Looks like we have an all nighter (roadworks) at St Georges Circus :(

Edit: Just seen, on the SE1 daily e mail, that all noisy works should be finished by 22:00 LOL
Friday 19 June 2015 4.32pm
boroughonian wrote:
dee dee wrote:

What I wonder is, especially RE: Blackfriars rd, will the congestion get any better, is this how it will be? The traffic in Blackfriars rd is down to one lane, it's going to stay that way isn't it?

I expect the congestion would get better than it does now if it does stay that way.

In the same way that opening/widening roads makes new journeys feasible/attractive and generates traffic, closing/narrowing them causes, over time, people to take alternative routes (based on their expectations of congestion).

If you like, the 'wisdom of crowds' combines with the choice of routes in the network to average out congestion across the network.
Friday 19 June 2015 4.51pm
At the risk of being howled down can I ask the obvious question?
Why are you trying to 'get around' by car in the first place???

I have a car, but its left its underground parking space once in 6 months.
Friday 19 June 2015 10.46pm
At the risk of being howled down, can I ask an obvious question? Why do you bother having a car? :) The council could build a little flat on that parking space.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: