Thai Silk

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 24 June 2015 9.42pm
Goodness me. I remember meeting with the owners when they were trying to extent their license to 3am and they told us all about their 'training' programme for foreign workers! On another matter, the new owners have hacked at the three trees outside the restaurant and made them ugly and lop-sided. I have reported this to the council and the council has visited and told them not to do it again. The council said they would tidy up the trees in the autumn. I'm not very pleased with this, surely the owners should be made to pay for their own arborist to make good the damage they have done.
Thursday 25 June 2015 9.54am
It does make you wonder how many other businesses in the area are doing the same and have not yet been caught? (illegal workers not pruning trees!)
Thursday 25 June 2015 7.07pm
Pruning is a generous term to use in this instance; hacked would be more appropriate. The corner shop on The Cut which is now Costa Coffee got into trouble a few times because it was using illegal immigrants. What is worrying about this, is that they don't need to be in the system because they are earning money - probably less than the minimum wage per hour - and likely to be taken advantage of by the owners and landlords.
Friday 26 June 2015 10.02am
Businesses that employ illegal immigrants are parasites, it seems obvious that they pay less than the minimum wage and so can undercut totally legal businesses but avoid paying N.I. contributions and Income Tax for the illegal immigrant employee which, in turn, means that we taxpayers are being cheated too.
I expect the next news about Thai Silk will be that it has gone into voluntary liquidation and therefore cannot pay the fines of 160,000, and remarkably a phoenix company will establish itself.
Friday 26 June 2015 12.17pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
I expect the next news about Thai Silk will be that it has gone into voluntary liquidation and therefore cannot pay the fines of 160,000, and remarkably a phoenix company will establish itself.

Unlikely, as it concerns the EX-owners, not the current owners, if I am not mistaken.
Friday 26 June 2015 9.08pm
It does, yes. The new owners have made themselves know in the last couple of days. Their shutter doors are fully open, music is blaring out and they have Thai dancers encouraging passing trade. The noise in my flat - 11th floor - was appalling between 5pm and 6pm; now it's down to a dull bump, bump, bump.
Saturday 27 June 2015 1.05am
oh gosh - where to begin - terrible Thai Silk - employing illegal immigrants and they should be prosecuted - as should any business that does not pay workers min wage - however my off piste rant is so does Tesco - who has many a worker not earning min wage and is topped ( if the worker is lucky) by working tax credits. My thought is - for what is worth if all businesses were prosecuted for doing this - cos its the law- instead of letting big corps get away with it ( who also rarely pay the appropriate tax) we would be a lot fairer and richer society. Those riches could be shared through the poverty that surrounds us, cuts to disability allowances, the NHs, Key workers and research into terminal/horrible illness cures
Sorry about the dull bump Karen - can you call Southwark Noise team if it goes on late? Much love x
( realised the bump comment sounds sarky - not meant x)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: