Neckinger Esate Low Water Pressure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 25 June 2015 10.06pm
I live in Neckinger Estate on the top floor flat and my shower pressure is too low. It is very annoying to put up with every day. What is the best way to go about?
Is this council's matter or I need to get a tank fixed by a contractor for my flat. Also, I read about pump for the shower. Not sure if the electric showers increase the pressure???
I will appreciate anyone who can advise me please.
Thanks in advance.
Thursday 25 June 2015 10.08pm
Have you lived there long and noticed a sudden drop? Or have you recently moved in and it has been like that since day one?

Do you own the flat or rent it? If you rent it, who from? Private or council?

Difficult to suggest your next step without knowing answers to the above.
Thursday 25 June 2015 10.14pm
If you have an individual header tank in your property, you'll never get a strong pressure. If you want to put in a power shower, it might be costly in terms of wiring, and you might annoy your neighbour if your bathroom is above theirs because they are very noisy, even when they are put on a shock-proof base. An electric shower would also be costly as this would require an electrician and a plumber, but unless you already have mixer taps, this might end up being the cheapest option. If you do go for an electric shower, make sure you get one with a 12mm hose rather than the standard 7mm hose and that will allow more water to flow through the shower head. In fact, have a try at buying a simple 12mm hose for replace your existing one and see if this makes a difference. It did in my flat many years ago before the council got rid of all the individual header tanks.
Thursday 25 June 2015 10.54pm
Hi Karen & Guy's street,
Thanks for your quick reply & support.
Karen, I guess the council will not be happy with individual header tank then. Also, you said it will not help much. I will research the power shower.
Guy's street, I own it and it has been like that from day 1, but fluctuating depending on the time of day & if neighbour is opening the tap I guess. Even at its best, the pressure is low.
Monday 29 June 2015 11.25am
Chris Trainer wrote:
Hi Karen & Guy's street,
Thanks for your quick reply & support.
Karen, I guess the council will not be happy with individual header tank then. Also, you said it will not help much. I will research the power shower.
Guy's street, I own it and it has been like that from day 1, but fluctuating depending on the time of day & if neighbour is opening the tap I guess. Even at its best, the pressure is low.
A couple of things to try then:

Find your mains intake (possibly under the bath/sink) and check that it is open as far as it can go (or as far as it needs to go). It might be as simple as the previous resident turned this down and left it that way.

If the above doesn't work, then assuming the Council still owns the freehold (which is usually the case in these blocks), then you need to get on to them to resolve the issue.
jpm
Monday 29 June 2015 12.23pm
I've had the run-around from Thames Water on this, living in an 11th floor flat and having problems with low water pressure.

Thames Water say their legal requirement is just to have water at 1 bar (pressure) at the boundary of the property - which is about enough to get up to the third floor.

The pressure they always used to supply was nearly four times that but - at various times over the years - they have reduced the water pressure, because reducing pressure means that leaky pipes loose less water. When sufficient fuss is made sometimes the pressure comes back up (posts on this forum about this over the last 10 years)

Many of Southwark's buildings were built and designed around this higher water pressure, so don't all have the equipment to boost water pressure that the very tall tower blocks have to. However Thames Water will say that it's down to the Council if you're having water pressure problems and they're delivering their minimum requirement.

Hope this helps
Monday 29 June 2015 1.21pm
Thanks Guy's street. The mains is fully open. I will get on to the council. Also thanks "jpm" for your advice on this. I guess, the council will either fix the issue or at least advise me what is my best approach. Thanks.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: