Threat on voting form

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 1 July 2015 3.36pm
I see the thread is closed on the Voting fine and I wanted to respond. I have lived in the same household for more than 20 years and I do not want to give my national insurance number. That is the issue for me because, if it is hacked, they have your date of birth, your name, your national insurance number.... what else do people need to create a new you? Sorry if people think I am being "not with the times" as I think this is very pertinent in contemporary Britain.
Wednesday 1 July 2015 3.56pm
I can well understand your concern and I'd say that, if anything, you certainly are with the times, hence your sensible concern. Unfortunately, bickering on the previous thread aside, I think the consensus - and certainly my understanding - was that you must provide all information required to effect registration. Unfortunately that does include your NINO.
Wednesday 1 July 2015 3.57pm
ljustice0773 wrote:
I see the thread is closed on the Voting fine and I wanted to respond. I have lived in the same household for more than 20 years and I do not want to give my national insurance number. That is the issue for me because, if it is hacked, they have your date of birth, your name, your national insurance number.... what else do people need to create a new you? Sorry if people think I am being "not with the times" as I think this is very pertinent in contemporary Britain.

I understand your concern - especially in a time where hacking is a bigger evil than burglary ever was, if only due to the sheer volume at which it takes place and the ease with which everything seems to be hackable while no one seems to be able to successfully prevent it. I find your objections very reasonable.
Wednesday 1 July 2015 4.58pm
In the run up to the election I read quite a few pieces like this stating that you do not have to provide your National Insurance number, as long as you're prepared to engage with the council's electoral registration officials to provide other evidences that you are who you say you are.

I took the standard route myself, so I can't say how straightforward or problematic the process might be in the absence of a National Insurance number.
Wednesday 1 July 2015 5.07pm
That's a very valid point, Dave. My statement above, "Unfortunately that does include your NINO", is not quite right - it is complying with a requirement to register rather than being a prescriptive: "You shall provide your NINO" or "You will provide details of your ancestry".

ljustice0773, why don't you try and do as Dave suggests? I can't see them having the cheek to fine you in the circumstances he sets out as you are engaging and attempting to register.
Wednesday 1 July 2015 5.14pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
In the run up to the election I read quite a few pieces like this stating that you do not have to provide your National Insurance number, as long as you're prepared to engage with the council's electoral registration officials to provide other evidences that you are who you say you are.
I took the standard route myself, so I can't say how straightforward or problematic the process might be in the absence of a National Insurance number.

I'd say that if it is problematic and not straightforward it's the duty of the council/government etc to find a way to solve it without making it difficult for or indeed threaten voters or try and force their hand or however you want to describe it. They are here to serve us, they seem to have forgotten that. @ljustice0773 : I don't know what to suggest to you but to contact the relevant authority, share your concerns with them and keep the forum/other forums/friends etc informed so that it stays public and you might garner some support.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: