Guy Street Park SE1 disgraceful behaviour

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 4 July 2015 10.56am
Well and truly disgusted, walking through Guys park at 10 in the morning today with 2 small children, to be attacked by a load of homeless, drunk out of their heads, shouting effing and using the C word at people, has anyone else noticed these gangs in Guys park, getting totally out of hand, they were there last night too, its awful to have to avoid a park at 10 in the morning and goodness knows whats its like for the poor people who over look this park.
The children were in tears, they thought they may kill us, the things they were shouting, police don't seem to interested, Im so shocked this can go on, surely its an offence to do this?
Saturday 4 July 2015 11.49am
Sounds awful, when you say "the police didn't seem to interested", how do you mean? You called them, then what?

Genuinely interested.
Saturday 4 July 2015 1.53pm
When I walked through the other day, early morning, the Police were talking to some 'sleepers' on the benches. I recall thinking that in 11 years of living in the neighbourhood, I have never sat in that little park - because of the drunks.

The more people who complain about it, the more likely something will be done. 'Manpower' permitting, of course.
Saturday 4 July 2015 4.06pm
I am amazed!
If people have complained, the police would surely deal with it, especially if children are being abused!
Saturday 4 July 2015 8.39pm
A week ago at Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Community Council the local police inspector reported that he had authorised the use of dispersal orders in Guy Street Park on the previous two weekends, but he didn't specify the nature of the problem that led to this action.

It's on my list of stories to follow up.

Unfortunately our local police press office now only deals with 'good news' so it means a phone call to New Scotland Yard to get any information.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 4 July 2015 11.09pm
I sat in the park this afternoon, for the first time! Other than a game of basketball in the 'cage' and a solo sunbather on the far side, I had the entire triangle [around the now hidden sign] to myself :-) I only stayed 10 minutes or so, but it was very pleasant.

Leathermarket Gardens have also been quiet, on the noisy drunks front. One police officer told me, last week, that they were hunting for someone who had been exposing himself.
Monday 6 July 2015 12.55pm
I reported but they just took my number, didn't seem in the least surprised, no one called me back :(

But i don't expect to be abused by terrible language in front of 2 little children at 10 in the morning.
Sunday 16 August 2015 4.38pm
As the original poster mentioned it is not good for "the poor people who look over this park", of which I am one.

Today a girl was walking through the park and was chased by an unleashed dog property of one of the drunks. She remonstrated with him that the dog should be on a lead and was met with a torrent of abuse. Most of the time now there are people sleeping on the benches, fighting, shouting arguing and drinking (despite the no alcohol zone signs which have been put up) often all night. No one else is able to occupy the benches and many avoid the park altogether, which is a pity as minus these people it is a really nice space. I have complained many times to the Council and Police, the former have done very little but credit to the Police that when I have been persistent they have acted. The only way to resolve this is for as many people as possible to complain, as often as possible, then action will eventually be taken.

The people to complain to are (Council) (Police)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: