Southwark Park Festival Live Bands Saturday

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 7 July 2015 6.55pm
Saturday just past 4th July they had the annual live bands playing there at Southwark Park, this is probably one of the only good things that Southwark has still, while I dont think other boroughs have this but I could be wrong.

I noticed that most seem to come from the other side of river, getting into their cars on and the tube going back, I notice that hardly anyone locally seems to go to it, altough again of course I could be wrong.

It was a great day and live concerts going on from 12 mid day to 8pm. Nine Below Zero and Steve Harley were playing and other bands.

Was anyone there from this site?
If so what area did you come from?
What are your thoughts about the security on entrance now to the park or anything else to do with concert?

Thanks.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 2.48pm
I was there from 1pm until 6pm with my 3 kids (8,6 & 3).
We hail from Bermondsey, just West of The Blue.
My 8 yr old and I would have loved to stay even longer to see Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel but the 3 yr old was on his last legs.
We had a lovely afternoon, listening to some great music and walking around the community stalls (although the kids probably enjoyed the dodgems & having an ice cream the most).
They've had the security on the gate for a few years now, I believe because of some unfortunate incidents in the past. I really don't mind it, I think it is a sensible precaution and have somewhat come to expect it at large organised events. The guys on the gate we passed through were very cheery and joked around with the kids so it didn't feel intrusive at all.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 2.56pm
I wasn't there, but living 300 metres from the park, and having the balcony door open I might as well have been, still it wasn't loud enough to be disturbing.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 8.01pm
It was really good in the evening. well crammed there when the later bands came on. They used to play to 10pm before a few years back but now dropped to 8pm I think, if I remember rightly. any more comments are welcome
Wednesday 8 July 2015 10.23pm
I would have gone had I not been involved in an annual event I co-promote in Lowestoft. Have worked with Nine Below Zero many times over the years, been a fan since I was 14.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 11.25pm
Modman wrote:
I would have gone had I not been involved in an annual event I co-promote in Lowestoft. Have worked with Nine Below Zero many times over the years, been a fan since I was 14.

I didn't know they were playing or I would have gone and see them. Have been a fan since my older brother brought home "Live at the Marquee" sometime in the early 80's.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 11.32pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

I didn't know they were playing or I would have gone and see them. Have been a fan since my older brother brought home "Live at the Marquee" sometime in the early 80's.

I DJ'ed at the 20th anniversary gig for that album at The Thomas A Beckett and the 30th at the 100 Club!
Thursday 9 July 2015 10.09am
I couldnít go this year as we were away but go whenever I can and live in the area. Last year they had security guards checking people coming in and I found them very good natured too. I saw some trouble a few years back and since then they seem to have introduced a few rules and moved it over to the other side of the park, which is fair enough. I saw a fight a few years ago during the Blockheads set (as in Ian Dury and .....) while they were playing Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick, I think the irony was lost on the idiots fighting! But all that nonsense seems to have stopped and Iíd take my family over there and not worry.

Theyíve had a festival in Southwark Park for many years, not as much music but there would be parachutists, marching bands, racing cars, motorcycle displays, fun fair rides etc. Iíve some wonderful memories from going in the 1970ís. I think itís great that this happens on our doorstep. A lot of ex Bermondsey / SE16 people who have left the area make a trip over to meet up with old friends and family, probably explains some of the cars and people getting tubes home?

Apparently thereís a rock and roll day in the Blue on the 19th July too!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: