The Gregorian Pub Jamaica Rd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 7 July 2015 6.03pm
The Greg pub on Jamaica Rd closed for a while, it used to have live bands in there, now its re-opened, while they have not completely re done it up yet, and now it resembles a bar more then a pub. The bar itself is a lot smaller and animal heads on the wall. Table and chairs now rather then a seating going around the back wall. and segrated parts as well split up into parts.

Anyone one who went in there, whats your thought now its changed completely?

Do you think it will stay open and be as popular as before or not?
Tuesday 7 July 2015 8.06pm
I went last Sunday. They have converted a great local pub into a dark and dingy yuppie drinking den. What a let down - almost vandalism. I won't be returning.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 7.14am
Undecided. I only visited a few times previously - food was quite good, showed the horses which was a bonus on Saturday afternoon, but it was in dire need of refurbishment.

I like the way they've split it up a bit into separate sections, but I'm not sure about the décor, it looks a bit cheap. While I'm glad they've ripped up the carpet to reveal a solid wooden floor, they really could've sanded and varnished it before opening as it looks very worn. Would've been nice to see the pool table remain as well.

Good range of beers now though which is a welcome addition. It will be interesting to see what food offering they come up with once they have the kitchen up and running.

If I compare to the St James down the road, it is definitely second choice. The refurbishment down there is of a much higher standard and actually looked 'finished' when they opened.

To Boss St Bloke, I'm not sure it is any more dark and dingy than it used to be. It's always felt that way. The clientele might change, but the population has changed and the businesses in the area will change to meet the demand if they have their wits about them.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 9.11am
Hi GS - I thought the old layout was quite light with all the windows - the new layout has far fewer, hence my comment of dingy. The dark decor does not help. One thing I forgot to mention, is the proximity of other tables to yours - elbows would be touching in the chairs. Seem like they want to pack 'em in as tightly as possible, some might enjoy that, personally I don't. Anyway, I am sure the place will attract new clientele - from the area. Personally - The Boatman, The Angel and The Ship Aground are much brighter and more friendly than The Greg - so I will move on.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 1.33pm
Is The Angel any good? Been meaning to try it for years but tend to either go to The Kings Arms or The Woolpack on Bermondsey Street.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 1.42pm
The Angel is great. During Autumn, you can get some great shots of Tower Bridge with the sun setting behind. You get that shot from the gallery, which overhangs the Thames. There is a restaurant upstairs - serving the usual Sam Smith's food.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 2.05pm
NickTheGreek wrote:
Is The Angel any good? Been meaning to try it for years but tend to either go to The Kings Arms or The Woolpack on Bermondsey Street.

The Angel is a nice clean pub, the river being the main attraction, but as a non beer drinker it doesn't suit me, I only drink vodka, but their stuff is probably Sam Smith's, the same as the beers.
If I can't get Belvedere, Absolut, or Stolychnya, I'll settle for Smirnoff, but they are all unavailable in the Angel.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 6.57pm
Thanks for all your inputs, anyone else who wishes to also comment are welcome about the Greg, or any other pubs around here. I like the Boatman because of Mick who plays in there weekends, he is a brilliant pianist. but I only started to go there because of him playing really.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 8.48pm
Which are the Boatman & Ship Aground? Not familiar with these and I thought I was at least passingly familiar with all of Bermondsey/Rotherhithe's pubs! Is it the same Ship as the one that's about half way between the Angel and the Mayflower?

The Mayflower is a lovely little pub, although a bit too little.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 9.03pm
Hi GS - SE1 website has the answer here for The Ship Aground - the others mentioned are just over the border in SE16
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network