Service or trolley hire to move a round table?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 10 July 2015 7.13am
I'm getting a delivery of a 120cm diameter round table next week, being delivered on a pallet in a box, and unfortunately the delivery company will only take it "curbside". The table is about 74 cm high, and weighs around 50kg, so not the biggest thing in the world, but still a bit too much for just myself to carry in. Looks like this: http://image.architonic.com/img_pro2-1/120/3589/lakri-table-det-b.jpg

Does anybody have any thoughts on how I could get that into our flat? I thought some kind of trolley hire, as a removals company seems overkill for just getting something from the road, through our flat and into the dining area, unless they were reasonably cheap.

We're based just near Leathermarket Gardens, if anybody knows of a troller hire company, or removals company nearby that'd be prepared to move a one off bit of furniture.

Cheers
Friday 10 July 2015 7.23am
Is the Hire shop in tower bridge rd. still there?
Friday 10 July 2015 7.27am
There's a Jewsons in Peckham and one in Kennington lane road rab, ring them they hire things out.
Friday 10 July 2015 7.28am
Jan the old one wrote:
There's a Jewsons in Peckham and one in Kennington lane road rab, ring them they hire things out.

Aha, thanks, that sounds like an option. Do you know if they deliver? Or I'd need to pick up myself?

Lack of a car is another issue...
Friday 10 July 2015 11.02am
There is a Speedy Hire branch in Great Suffolk Street. However in my experience, if you tip the delivery guys a tenner, they'll usually carry it in for you - the 'curb side' thing is usually a company dictat but drivers are likely to be up for earning a bit of cash on the side.
Friday 10 July 2015 11.07am
GeminiX wrote:
There is a Speedy Hire branch in Great Suffolk Street. However in my experience, if you tip the delivery guys a tenner, they'll usually carry it in for you - the 'curb side' thing is usually a company dictat but drivers are likely to be up for earning a bit of cash on the side.

Great, was not aware of Speedy Hire, and that's pretty close by.

And that's a brilliant suggestion on asking the delivery driver - I'd rather give the 30 trolly hire fee to them if they helped me carry it inside, much simpler.
Friday 10 July 2015 4.27pm
Wouldn't it be easier to take it out of the box on the kerb then it would be much easier to take it upstairs?
Friday 10 July 2015 5.04pm
Two people can easily carry 50kg's over a short distance: I would definitively try to enlist the help of a family member, friend or neighbour before calling in the pros.

Also worth bearing in mind that the person delivering might help you take inside for a tenner in cash, off the books...
Sunday 12 July 2015 9.23am
Jules62 wrote:
Two people can easily carry 50kg's over a short distance: I would definitively try to enlist the help of a family member, friend or neighbour before calling in the pros.
Also worth bearing in mind that the person delivering might help you take inside for a tenner in cash, off the books...

Yes, I've realised that the easiest option seems to be just offering the driver a bit of cash to help me out. Otherwise will try find a neighbour that's in at the time. And I think worst case I'll callout a handyman using Bizzby - they claim to send somebody out within an hour, often sooner.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, much appreciated.
Sunday 12 July 2015 9.45am
BigVan might also be able to help with the move if the other options don't work out....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: