Very Sad But True

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 10 July 2015 12.27pm
Not sure if any of you realise yet i dont live in se1 - yet i do work here and have done for 31 years of the 40 that ive been at work, the sad thing is that on 10/8, my company is moving us to Canary Wharf - booooooooooooooo

So nomore walking down blackfriars rd for me or all around the back streets where The Union Jack is and down union rd, so sad as i LUV this area
Friday 10 July 2015 3.52pm
Sad to hear you're going and I can't tell you that Canary Wharf is a great place to work. I worked on the Isle of Dogs, the West Ferry Road side for some years and found the old and the new disheartening. I do hope it has improved and that there are now smiles upon local peoples' faces because they have got worthwhile jobs and the commuters have lost the feeling of having suffered transportation and helplessness.
There is one good thing though having worked for forty years you cannot have long to go to your well earned retirement and then you can go where you want when you want.
And you will be welcome to visit us whenever you want.
I do hope everything does go well for you and my foreboding attitude proves to be groundless.
Good luck.
Friday 10 July 2015 5.09pm
SE1 is a great neighbourhood, chelsea190512.

However it is fair to say that Canary Warf and its surrounds are much better than they used to be.

I wish you all the best at your new location, and hope you can still visit SE1 on weekends and the like.
Friday 10 July 2015 5.37pm
I left Canary Wharf in 2010, it's the mad crush on the jubilee line that caused me grief. They had some shops under bank street if you enjoy shopping , which I didn't .. We'd move from broadgate which had character and when moved to c.w in 2004, took a bit of getting used to.
Friday 10 July 2015 8.05pm
Oh Jan the Old One! I remember that crush on the Jubilee line! We were probably crushed together without even knowing it! When I first worked in Canary Wharf in the early 90's we felt like pioneers in the Wild West (OK, East). It was a huge building site: no shops, no restaurants, the DLR had opened not long before, but no Jubilee then. The place became completely soulless. Nothing but glass office blocks and American-style shopping malls with no independent shops or cafes to speak of. I was moved to Clerkenwell in the 000's. What a relief! Lunch on Exmouth market, Sadler's Wells and Smithfield just up the road.... Then I was made redundant and ended up running my own business in SE1. Don't worry chelsea190512, with a bit of luck you won't be in CW forever and who knows, it might have changed since I was there and even have found a soul.
Saturday 11 July 2015 1.36pm
I've been working in Canary Wharf for the last year or so and can confirm that it's horrible.

The crush on the Jubilee Line (once you've queued for a train) is still terrible. It seems to have got worse since January when some trains stopped stopping at London Bridge.

If anything disrupts the regular flow of trains, Waterloo Underground rapidly becomes overcrowded (mostly with economic migrants from Surrey & Hampshire) and closed.

Canary Wharf itself has little to do other than shopping or chain bars and restaurants. Everything is overcrowded.

I'm really not a fan of the place.
Sunday 12 July 2015 6.43am
Thanks all, must say not looking forward to this at all
Sunday 12 July 2015 7.58am
Chelsea, it can be what you make it. There will be good points: the people you work with, a Waitrose not too far away, it's not a prison sentence, the waterways are attractive, Billingsgate is near if you want to buy fish and far enough away if you don't, you'll be spending most of your day in the office and you will appreciate your home much more.
Try and enjoy the experience, I truly hope that in three months time you will be saying "What Canary Wharf were all those doomsayers talking about this certainly doesn't match their comments? I'm having a ball"
I wish you all the best and please keep in touch and let us know how you find it and , more importantly , how you are getting on.
Sunday 12 July 2015 1.19pm
lived on the isle of dogs for 4 years and my first job on leaving the army was working at Canary wharf.

the one thing that always did puzzle me about pubs on the isle of dogs is that when the closed down, with 4-6 weeks they would have a mysterious fire ......
Sunday 12 July 2015 6.30pm
thanks all for the advice and good wishes - sure it will be f fine at cw after a few months, i will always keep up with what is happening in se1 as its like my 2nd home now, well i have spent more time in my life there than anywhere else - 31 years x 52 x 35hrs
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: