Devon Mansions Recycling collection

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 11 July 2015 2.45pm
Hello my dear SE1ers!!!
I am a resident in Block 10 Devon Mansions and for a long time now we've having problems with recycling trash bags left by our door step any day of the week. Veolia changed our collection day from Saturday to Monday ages ago and since the date change it has been a nightmare for the residents. Trash bags are left outside our front door any day of the week, with rubbish accumulating day after day. People and passers by seem to think it's okay to dump any thing they don't want anymore on top of this bags and the problem is becoming unbearable (it stinks and its an eye sore) and a heath risk. I contacted Southwark Council by phone and email but nothing seems to happen. I also contacted FCHS a number times, even showed them a number of photos of the condition our block is and although they sent letters to all neighbors the situation still happens every week. I also contacted Eliza Mann and Anood Al-Samerai who helped in one occasion and that's it.
It is a horrible sight in a very touristic part of town, where plenty of people live and yards away from Southwark Council's state of art offices.
Please people, any ideas of what else can I do? Who I need to speak to?
It's hot outside and I can't open my windows because of the foul smell.
Any advice will be most welcome
Thanks!!
Zoe
Saturday 11 July 2015 7.33pm
It's always a problem changing people's behaviour and there probably isn't much the council can do. Is there an enclosed bin space or are the bags left on the street? It probably needs repeated reminders to people to not put their bags out expect on the collection day. However, realistically it probably won't change much. We have the same issue with bulky waste, which people leave out without arranging collection. Nothing we do seems to stop them.
Saturday 11 July 2015 7.55pm
Makes me sick Zoe, in Southwark we have a free collection service for bulk items, here in Derbyshire my daughter had to pay eighteen pounds by card in advance to have two piece suite collected.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: