Bastille Festival, Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 12 July 2015 4.11pm
That's it?

I just returned from a stroll to check out this "festival", which consisted of a single food truck and a 3 person band in Jubilee Place and the usual Saturday traders in the Green Market (though some with small cardboard signs in their stalls saying "Bastille Festival", I guess to remind you why they were open on a Sunday, as there were few indications otherwise that there was a Bastille Day celebration happening).

Perhaps it gets better at night, but given London's proximity to France and the space available at Borough Maket and its orientation towards food, I was very disappointed with this event. If you're looking for a festival, or even French food, keep your expectations low. This certainly wasn't what I'd expect from something that was billed as "London's largest Bastille Day celebration" (as stated on the Better Bankside website).
Monday 13 July 2015 11.31am
I agree , we took visiting family there yesterday , all disappointed with the lack of celebration/food.
Monday 13 July 2015 9.01pm
I went a few years ago and had a pretty good time. If I remember, it wasn't actually in Borough Market but on Park Street. The road was closed and there were food stalls, face painting, some performances and plenty of food and drink. I think it was sponsored by the President cheese company as we came home with lots of samples and money off vouchers.

Almost gave up on watching the Wimbledon final on Sunday to visit so looks like we made the right choice!
Tuesday 14 July 2015 8.27am
Perhaps poor signage was the issue, though there didn't seem to be loads of stalls in the video footage. That woman in the white tshirt was the clear winner of the race though.
Tuesday 14 July 2015 8.45am
I only passed through briefly on Sunday lunchtime but I think it's fair to say this year's event was smaller than it has been in some previous years.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: