Chambers Street cleanliness

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 13 July 2015 8.53am
Anyone else notice that Chambers Street - towards the far end and by the new development has a lot of litter?

Any idea what's causing this ? Is it a lack of bins and if so, is there a process to get a few more on the street?

Thank you all!
Monday 13 July 2015 10.22am
I don't know this particular St, but any litter is generally down to people or if trash bags have been put out for collection there is a constant battle with foxes/cats and birds who are happy to break into bags and make a mess.

Just a side note;

My experience of Southwark street cleaners , is that they do a fantastic thankless job in keeping our streets clean.
I for one, do appreciate them and the fantastic job they do.
(No connection , just a happy resident)
Monday 13 July 2015 11.17am
Hi

Thanks for the response.

Yes they do a fantastic job! I've lived in Southwark for over ten years now and they are very thorough which is partly why I'm surprised.
AD
Monday 13 July 2015 3.15pm
I live on Chambers Street and have definitely noticed the mess. The street is a disaster zone at weekends. There are 180+ flats in the new development and I cannot understand how Peabody allocated the tenancies. I've spoken to a few new residents and they come from all over London, I thought it would be logical to allocate housing to locals to keep a sense of community (so many locals are getting pushed out eg Elephant and Castle).

Many of the new residents don't care about littering. They empty the rubbish from their cars on to the street and leave rubbish bags by the front communal doors, which the foxes then come along and rip up. I've spoken to one of the caretakers, and ascertained that 'Maggie Reeve' is the Peabody employee responsible for the development. The caretakers only work Monday to Friday, hence why it all goes to pot at the weekends. I don't have Maggie Reeve's details, but will try and track her down. I am going to get our local Councillors involved to try and get some help too.

It's such a shame some people are given huge subsidies on such nice flats, and treat the area so badly. They have really changed the atmosphere of the place.
AD
Tuesday 14 July 2015 11.32am
I have sent Maggie Reeve an email (maggie.reeve@peabody.org.uk) expressing the above concerns and asking for some feedback. I will share the response here. If anyone else, perhaps walking down the Thames path one weekend, feels something has gone amiss, please email Maggie. Photos would be good - a picture says a thousand words.

I think a caretaker is required at the weekends. If anyone else has any suggestions please share.
Tuesday 14 July 2015 12.25pm
Huge subsidies? What are they then? Oh let's not go there, unless you can answer that.

Anyway, in my experience, Maggie Reeve is brilliant, so your concerns will not fall on deaf ears.

Although, it has to be said, every Peabody estate, anywhere in London, will be in need of some caretaking come Monday morning, good luck with getting them to employ someone on a weekend, for if you are successful......we'll all want it!
AD
Tuesday 14 July 2015 1.18pm
Market rent - Socially rented rate = Huge subsidy.

(I'm not passing judgement on the politics, just expressing a distaste of the inconsiderate nature of those that have been given a leg up, and show pretty selfish behaviour thereafter.)

What are they: 2, 3, 4 bedroom flats/maisonettes with a market value of 550k + (based on the valuations the shared ownership properties were offered at).

Glad to hear of your positive experience with Maggie, but it's a shame to hear that all Peabody estates are problematic at the weekends. No harm in trying though.
Tuesday 14 July 2015 1.22pm
Apart from a weekend caretaker can any one think of ideas or even examples that have worked in other Peabody estates?

Educating the residents ? Extra bins ? notices ?
Tuesday 14 July 2015 2.42pm
AD wrote:
Market rent - Socially rented rate = Huge subsidy.
(I'm not passing judgement on the politics, just expressing a distaste of the inconsiderate nature of those that have been given a leg up, and show pretty selfish behaviour thereafter.)

What are they: 2, 3, 4 bedroom flats/maisonettes with a market value of 550k + (based on the valuations the shared ownership properties were offered at).

Glad to hear of your positive experience with Maggie, but it's a shame to hear that all Peabody estates are problematic at the weekends. No harm in trying though.

Look up the word subsidy, that is not happening.

So you mugs spend fortunes on mug rents and as a result, we all have to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i4rgxOi73c
Tuesday 14 July 2015 2.49pm
Please start a separate thread to discuss the financing of social housing if you wish to pursue that line of debate.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: