The Weekend Millionaires

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 16 July 2015 2.29pm
Wonderful documentary about the life and times of Thames Lightermen, told in interviews with retired lightermen & their relatives and featuring footage shot by them;

Weekend Millionaires
Friday 17 July 2015 7.19am
that is a must see for anyone with the river in their blood, great project too.
Sunday 19 July 2015 1.13pm
I watched this, I thought that it was a very credible representation of what lightermen, dockers etc. were like in the 60s and 70s around Bermondsey and Rotherhithe.
It was an ex lighterman who saw the end coming and did the Knowledge, who got me started on the road to riches with that green badge around my neck.
Weekend millionaires describes them very well, just as it did we black cab drivers then, we'd all be in The Lil, (Lilliput Arms, Old Jamaica Road), The Red Cow, The Havelock, The Raymouth, spending money like it was going out of fashion.
I saw quite a few of the guys on the film that I hung out with back in the day, particularly Johnny Fletcher, who morphed into a cameraman as the docks started to decline.
I remember him working on Death on the Nile, and regaling us with some wild tales about being on location, with wall to wall wannabe starlets.
It's a very true saying, but memories DO live longer than dreams.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: