Abandoned tube tunnels under Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 17 July 2015 1.09pm
I was fascinated to read about the abandoned tube tunnels which run underneath Borough High Street. They were built as part of the first deep tube line, but abandoned in about 1900 when the route was enlarged (and re-tunnelled) to form the current Northern Line.

Apparently they were used as air raid shelters in the second world war, but most of the entrances were filled in in about 1960. Maps here showing the air raid entrances:

There's a nice write up about it on the Abandoned Stations website including pictures of the tunnels themselves - describing the original route from Stockwell to King William Street.
Friday 17 July 2015 1.24pm
It's fascinating stuff. One of Nick Catford's books has some lovely pics dating back to about 1980, so before parts of the southern side of the tunnel were obliterated by the Jubilee Line Extension. I hadn't seen the diagrams you've included - thanks for sharing.
Friday 17 July 2015 1.25pm
Fascinating - it's like an early version of the Drain. Love the tiling in the staircase
Friday 17 July 2015 2.00pm
One of the entrances to the air raid shelter is part of the current archaeological dig in Borough High Street - http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8282 - TfL was worried about poisonous gases leading to a shutdown of the Northern line

The air raid shelter in the disused tunnel was mentioned on a plaque that used to be by the entrance of Borough tube station - unfortunately it has recently disappeared:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 17 July 2015 2.02pm
Wow! How interesting - thank you so much for sharing. I only wish we could get in and see for ourselves!
Friday 17 July 2015 5.08pm

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: