Leroy St/OKR safety

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 21 July 2015 9.53am

I'm looking for a flat to rent in central London and most flats that fit my budget are around the Bermondsay. I have checked the Tower Bridge Rd area with lots of shops, restaurants etc and it looks to me clean, decent, peaceful and safe (that was during the day, didn't check at. night) and I was rather happy to rent around the area.

I found a flat on Leroy st facing away from the roundabout but now I also found a cheaper flat along the OKR, but now I read a bit about the safety and it got me worried. Shooting, stabbing. I'm a female student in my final year so I will be coming home late at night from the library, it would take me about 15mins, how is the crime rate in that area? Safer on Leroy St or OKR? Will living near the roundabout be loud and highly polluted? Is there sth I should know before renting in the area?

Thank you very much for your help, we are moving for the first time to the UK.

Tuesday 21 July 2015 11.06am
You can check on here to find out the crime 'rating' for any area in London. Most of Southwark is 'average' but if you zoom in there are some areas near OKR 'above average'.

The majority of local residents will probably say they have never experienced or witnessed any problems, but if you are worried about safety based on what you've seen and read of the locality, no one can categorically reassure you that you will be safe - in any area of a large city.
Tuesday 21 July 2015 11.17am
Thank you and yes, you are right.

I have read a lot about community and blending to "belong". I've been always living in a more isolated areas with neighbours not interacting that much so I wonder if this might cause me problems? I'm definitely polite and friendly but it takes some time for me to open.
Tuesday 21 July 2015 2.39pm
Is it behind the doctors surgery area, I would live there.
Tuesday 21 July 2015 4.49pm
The next few years are going to be very hectic around here, because of the massive amount of building for the Regeneration at the Elephant. But quite honestly I dont think we're any less dangerous than anywhere else. Just be sensible, dont flash your IPhone at four oclock in the morning, ...usually the bad incidents happen when things are quiet and streets are deserted. Mostly there are masses of people around and you shouldnt feel unsafe.
Tuesday 21 July 2015 5.31pm
I just asked my partner if he would feel unsafe if I was coming home at 4am on the OKR and he said possibly but he would be more worried about bad driving than anything else, as there are always a lot of people around. I think it depends where on OKR and realistically, how late you will be.

I was rather amused by your comments about talking to neighbours. London can be a very unfriendly place and you don't have to talk to your neighbours if you don't want to.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: