FGM in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 22 July 2015 1.21pm
This surprised me. Southwark tops the list. Clearly a huge public health issue in our borough.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/21/fgm-female-genital-mutilation-uk-rates-southwark-equality-now_n_7832562.html
Wednesday 22 July 2015 2.09pm
Yes I read this too. Its shocking and terribly sad this is happening not only in our borough but across the UK too. The government needs to step in to stamp out this awful practice :(
Wednesday 22 July 2015 2.30pm
Disgusting practice, barbaric. Many years ago read an article by a man naturally , that stated in rural areas it was carried out to protect women . The journalist asked why and reply was short, as women herded the goats on hillside, if the menstrual blood did not come out no mountain lions etc. would smell it and attack!

It would make sense to sterilise all the males who really believe their daughters need this procedure , at least there would be fewer victims.

Are Southwark schools on the case of young girls going abroad at certain ages? Do they have posters up explaining the procedure and complications? If not why not ? Are we in Southwark reluctant to go against cultural beliefs as we may be perceived to be racist, as inRochdale.
Zoe
Wednesday 22 July 2015 6.57pm
There's no evidence that FGM isn't taken seriously in Southwark and it's a rather unfair leap to suggest it's similar to Rochdale (where the problem was working class girls being treated as unimportant, which is a problem across the UK, the media just likes to whip it up about racism).

I sometimes think people really underestimate quite how difficult it is to work in Southwark. We have more of everything, HIV infections, TB, poverty, poor health, sexually transmitted diseases. I could go on! Yet Southwark has had worse cuts than other councils and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of NHS cuts we just aren't hearing about. We need more funding than other places, but will end up with less.

Posters in schools are a good idea but surely that's just targeting girls, who probably don't have the ability to say no. It needs to be much wider than that.
Wednesday 22 July 2015 9.03pm
No Zoe was not criticising Southwark curious really about what action is being taken. And your right the girls would have no say about their bodies. Wonder what fathers and brothers would do when confronted with graphic photos of what their daughters and sister have to endure in order to comply with tradition.
Tuesday 28 July 2015 2.58pm
Having just come from the ante-natal clinic at St Thomas' I can at least report there are posters about FGM in most of the ladies loos encouraging mothers not to have the procedure carried out on their daughters or younger female family members - although I realise this is only a start... There is meant to also be a very good clinic there for women who are pregnant who are FGM survivors.
Wednesday 29 July 2015 9.46am
se1antique wrote:
Yes I read this too. Its shocking and terribly sad this is happening not only in our borough but across the UK too. The government needs to step in to stamp out this awful practice :(

It would be nice. But as only one particular culture is involved the social justice warriors will cry "racism" at any stamping out going on :-(

Posters it is then!
Thursday 30 July 2015 8.23am
The difference in attitude to cutting boy babies' genitals is interesting.
Thursday 30 July 2015 9.27am
Very true. It doesn't seem to be as harmful in practise as far as I know, or for the same reasons?

I am not in favour of either but FGM definitely needs stamping out. MGM? I am easy on the subject.
Zoe
Thursday 30 July 2015 2.58pm
What a shame you felt you had to attack 'social justice warriors' and make comments about 'one culture' (which one were you referring to?). This isn't about politics, it's about people.

I have always felt the comparison to circumcision an interesting one, but the reason that I think it's different is that women who have suffered FGM are saying it needs to be stopped. I have never heard a man who was circumcised say that. I think the impact is very different too, and circumcised men don't appear to suffer any side affects or long term problems. Ultimately if women don't want it to happen then it needs to be stopped.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: