Speeding on Bermondsey Wall West

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 24 July 2015 8.19am
Hi all

Anyone else notice the persistent speeding on Bermondsey Wall West? I've lost track of the times I've seen delivery vans just speed round the corner from Mill Street.

Any suggestions? One that occurred to me is that the 20 mile marker on the road is quite far up (by Providence Wharf) so maybe we could petition the council to paint one earlier in the road ? Or to put a massive speed hump at the start!

thanks
Zoe
Friday 24 July 2015 8.43am
A vicious speed table can work well, but too often they are made too 'smooth' so cars roll over them. The one outside our block on The Cut is great as cars are forced to slow down as it's so steep, but it think that was luck rather than planning.

More 20mph signs are also a good idea. I think you should email your councillors and ask them to raise with the council.
Friday 24 July 2015 8.56am
I'd quite like some 20 mph markers in the road in Shad Thames. Getting pissed off with the morons who whizz around like it's a main road.
AD
Friday 24 July 2015 10.30am
Pave over Bermondsey Wall West, like Clink Street, and make it access only/shared space. They're both part of the Thames path, although admittedly Clink street is way busier.
Recall the ideas Team London Bridge (http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7990) drew up for Druid Street?
Bollards could stop through traffic but allow deliveries, although a turning circle would be needed at the top of Mill Street, George Row, etc. Slightly radical, but I think it would be of benefit to more people than it would inconvenience (not sure how many people walk the Thames path?).
I'm sure funding could be found through central government health or environmental initiatives. Cleaner/Greener/Safer wouldn't stretch to cover it, but shows money is there for those who apply for it.
All that said, I don't believe it will happen any time soon, but could see it happening after Chambers Wharf is built in 15 years time.
In the mean time 20mph signs on the street are probably a realistic idea.
Monday 27 July 2015 7.41am
I've emailed Cllr Eliza Mann and she's going to take this up with the council. I'll keep everyone posted when I hear back
Monday 27 July 2015 5.55pm
I live next to Bermondsey Wall West and have done for over 10 years... I can't say I've noted a lot of speeding vans or anything else for that matter.
Tuesday 28 July 2015 5.57pm
At 3.30pm today I witnessed a large white van speeding down Mill Street and it turned into Bermondsey Wall West ..at a conservative estimate this van was travelling at 40-50mph ! I too have lived locally for many years and I have noted many vehicles speeding down Mill Street.
Wednesday 29 July 2015 11.10pm
40-50mph, come on...
Thursday 30 July 2015 8.53pm
This is one issue - a much bigger and serious problem are cyclists and they are a dreadful blight on the whole area. Vast numbers ignore the one way system on Mill Street and Bermondsey Wall West at high speed and ignore the fact that the river path via New Concordia and the bridge over the Neckinger is for obvious reasons for pedestrians only. The whole area needs to be put under a cycling ban because of the wholly irresponsible and mad way the large numbers of cyclists are treating it - putting everyone else at huge risk.
Thursday 30 July 2015 9.25pm
Yes 40-50mph ! and as someone who has driven for over 35 years I have a good idea at what speed a car is travelling as it passes me.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: