Southwark Street developments(?)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 29 July 2015 2.54pm
Hello,

Just out of interest, would anyone happen to know what the plans are for two derelict/tumbledown Southwark Street buildings currently (and for quite a while) covered in scaffolding?

1) Northwest corner of the intersection with Redcross Way.

2) Between The Breakfast Club and TFL'S empty plot of land.

Only wondering.
Tuesday 4 August 2015 1.18am
Our local, friendly Council is looking for land to build up to 11,000 new homes, could this provide part of the answer? Land is too precious to sit idle for too long, or apparently not?
Are they waiting for the value to rise, or are they landbanking like Tesco and others. Perhaps its haunted and bad spirits are active around there. Are the Council running scared?

The questions are endless, oh yes, they could be sniffing around for more from Dubai, Malaysia, Indonesia and China?
More social engineering perhaps? Carry on Heygate & Aylesbury? Anyone seen Peter lately?

Stephanie
Tuesday 4 August 2015 10.21am
Well.....

Re: 1) Northwest corner of the intersection with Redcross Way.

This is a tiny plot, squashed between Leyland SDM and the viaduct. Whether it's being rebuilt or demolished, there's only room there for 3 or 4 flats at most so nothing significant as far as social housing is concerned.

Re: 2) Between The Breakfast Club and TFL'S empty plot of land.

TFL's plot of land is one of their plots that they've already stated an intention to develop and invited proposals. Likely to be corporate/business space. The building I was wondering about is right up next to this land.

Unfortunately I don't think either of these Southwark Street locations will be used to create any of the needed affordable housing.

In both cases I was really just wondering whether the Victorian building shells currently there are being knocked down and redeveloped or if they are being 'saved'. Hoping for the latter.
Tuesday 4 August 2015 1.23pm
Gib80 wrote:
Re: 1) Northwest corner of the intersection with Redcross Way.

This is a tiny plot, squashed between Leyland SDM and the viaduct. Whether it's being rebuilt or demolished, there's only room there for 3 or 4 flats at most so nothing significant as far as social housing is concerned.

Afaik, that plot is still owned by Don Riley, who also owns several other buildings nearby, acquired in the days before the Jubilee line arrived and property prices went into the stratosphere. I gather he was very supportive of the building of the 'Thameslink 2000' rail link and dismissive of the resulting destruction of buildings around the Borough Market area. The Redcross building has been left a derelict eyesore for years and I sometimes wondered if he was waiting for it to be declared a dangerous structure so it had to be pulled down or properly repaired and refurbished. The 'empire' his family run company own includes other buildings nearby, the Menier, several buildings on Borough High St., and the site on Southwark Street where he wants to build a 25 storey spaceship-shaped tower block. I'm not sure affordable housing figures in their proposals!
Tuesday 4 August 2015 4.41pm
Just walked by 55 Southwark Street and noticed the planning application for a nine story building and thirty story tower on that land and carpark next door. Thats huge!! http://bit.ly/1MK7uRK
I like the eccentricity of the plan and looking at the planning application on line the nine stories will supposedly house a theatre and museum which would be great for the area. Think the thirty story tower is an issue though. Do we really want such a huge building on the edge of a conservation area? How many more vacant luxury apartments does the Borough need?
We have until the 15th to object .
Thursday 6 August 2015 1.54pm
Does anyone know how the application of "Isis House" redevelopment is progressing?
It's the building at the cross between Southwark Street and Lavington Street, behind the Mercury Hotel, there was a plan to redevelop it into a high building, and I liked it.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 12.07pm
Not sure about Isis House and whether the redevelopment is going ahead or not.

It seems the application was approved in March 2014 but nothing seem,s to have happened since then - and the application number (13-AP-2075) now gives "no results found" on the Southwark planning website.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 1.23pm
Thanks for flagging this up. The 55 Southwark Street scheme, Gagarin Square, it is so bonkers! was totally unaware of it.
The design plan is a hoot to read - on the 27th floor of the 'rocket' there appears to be a 'spiritual centre' and 'star tracking'. Not sure if these are actual things or other ways of saying utilities.
what a mad thing.
not to be cynical but wonder, if there isn't Russian money in it already, is the whole Gagarin thing to woo Russian investors to buy the flats. although why woo Russians with a Russian theme...
what is the rocket, is it residential? in all of the drawings it's 360 glazed and with no interior walls ... total fantasy.

good luck though to anyone who wants to build a theatre and cultural space. can't knock that.

http://gagarinsquare.co.uk/overview/gallery/

http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk/documents/?GetDocument=%7b%7b%7b!diklx0k2UgeqNQWRREf7sA%3d%3d!%7d%7d%7d
Wednesday 12 August 2015 1.49pm
Agreed - the lower building scheme at 55 Southwark Street is fine - the 30 Story tower on the back of it is crazy).

You can see a few of the picture of the 'spaceship' here:

http://us11.campaign-archive2.com/?u=97e6443633965fe2de3016f9e&id=a4038fed7f&e=00a0ffb82b

I will be objecting tonight. We have nothing that tall between the Shard and 1 Blackfriars and it really should stay that way. I am not adverse to progress but this is loony. The Borough is losing its unique character and soon will be a bit identikit.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 1.54pm
Can I suggest that Gagarin Square discussion continues in the existing thread at
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/167355

And this thread is kept for discussion of the sites mentioned in the opening post

Thanks

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: